Book Review: The Here and Now | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: The Here and Now

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Book Review: The Here and Now

Book Review:  The Here and Now by Ann BrasharesThe Here and Now by Ann Brashares

eARC received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

An unforgettable epic romantic thriller about a girl from the future who might be able to save the world . . . if she lets go of the one thing she’s found to hold on to.

Follow the rules. Remember what happened. Never fall in love.

This is the story of seventeen-year-old Prenna James, who immigrated to New York when she was twelve. Except Prenna didn’t come from a different country. She came from a different time - a future where a mosquito-borne illness has mutated into a pandemic, killing millions and leaving the world in ruins.

Prenna and the others who escaped to the present day must follow a strict set of rules: never reveal where they’re from, never interfere with history, and never, ever be intimate with anyone outside their community. Prenna does as she’s told, believing she can help prevent the plague that will one day ravage the earth.

But everything changes when Prenna falls for Ethan Jarves. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

At less than 200 pages, this was a quick read for me. While I enjoyed the story, I would have liked more information about the future, devastated world Preena came from.

The story seemed a little light on details at times, when I would have liked in-depth descriptions of certain people, places, or events. Because of its short length, some of the secondary characters weren't fully developed. There were also a few situations I found a little unbelievable and in need of more explanation.

Preena has no special powers or abilities, which is a nice change from so many of the YA heroines out there. While she is supposed to be highly intelligent, she's also a typical teenager who chafes against the strict rules of her community.

Ethan makes a good love interest, and I appreciated that there was no insta-love. While she doesn't understand his initial interest in her, we do. I really liked that they were friends first, as that seems rare in YA nowadays.

There were a few plot points that didn't make sense to me (such as the future plague), and it annoyed me when so many of the adults reprimanded Preena by calling her stupid. I thought she was supposed to be super-smart? While she didn't always act intelligent, she did act like a teenage girl so give her a break! 

While a little thin in places, I think this would make a good beach read. 

10 comments:

  1. YaY! for no insta-love. I do appreciate it when they are friends first. Sounds like a decent read and the problems didn't get too much in the way. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! I really get tired of insta-love, so this made a nice change!

      Delete
  2. Hmmm... sounds like I would like this but I have a feeling the same things would annoy me, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept wanting more, so hoping the author will give more details in her next book!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good one for people who don't read a lot of dystopia/science fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! I found myself wanting more info, so maybe that's why I wasn't fully satisfied with this one?

      Delete
  4. A shame not all of the characters were as well developed as they might have been. I suppose in short stories in particular it all too often comes down to either plot OR character development

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. But I've noticed that experienced short story writers can do both, so maybe this author still has a few tricks to learn. She is talented, so hoping the next book is better!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u