Monday, April 14, 2014

Book Review: Forever Song

Book Review:  Forever Song by Julie Kagawa | While sad that this is the last book in the series, I'm pleased with the ending and can't imagine anything better.The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa

eARC provided via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Allison Sekemoto once struggled with the question: human or monster?

With the death of her love, Zeke, she has her answer. MONSTER

In a ruined world where no life is sacred and former allies can turn on you in one heartbeat, Allie will face her darkest days. And if she succeeds, triumph is short-lived in the face of surviving forever alone. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

On the trail of the insane master vampire bent on destroying the world, Allie is still fighting her inner demon. Devastated by her recent loss, she isn't sure if the fight is worthwhile any longer. Instead of trying to follow in the footsteps of her sire Kanin, maybe things would be easier if she followed her blood brother Jackal's example and let the monster out once and for all?

Allie has been through an awful lot since becoming a vampire, and her path just seems to be getting harder instead of easier. Determined to destroy Sarren once and for all, nothing else seems to matter and she's dangerously close to giving up. Thank goodness she finds a reason to keep going!

There is a big plot twist that totally took me by surprise, and there's more than one! The author is fiendishly clever and just when you think you know what's going to happen next, she pulls the rug out from under you. Love when that happens!

I really like Allie. Despite her inexperience and the fact that she gets beat up pretty badly time and again, she keeps going. Sometimes her motivation is vengeance and sometimes it's the desire to do the right thing, but she keeps going even when the odds are stacked against her. I like that in a character!

While sad that this is the last book in the series, I'm pleased with the ending and can't imagine anything better. A great main character with an interesting setting, fascinating villain, and believable secondary characters, this series is a must-read for urban fantasy fans! Even Jackal grew on me by the end!

8 comments:

  1. Definitely a series that sounds like its best read from the beginning. I love it when secondary characters are believable, that just as much effort is put into them as the main character(s).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's annoying when the secondary characters are two-dimensional, so love it when they're fully fleshed out!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a rave to me. :-) *Happily throws the series on the TBR pile*

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're able to get to this series, as it's really good! I forgot to mention that Allie is Asian, which makes her a unique MC (I've never read about an Asian vampire trying to save the world before!).

      Delete
  3. *sigh* I feel like a slacker! I've yet to start this series. So little time and so many books. Ga!

    Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I should really stop adding to my TBR piles and work on whittling them down, but there are so many new releases that I can't resist!

      Delete
  4. That's great you really liked this one! I haven't read anything by this author, but i know I need too.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a few different series to choose from (I've enjoyed them all), so hope you're able to sample one someday!

      Delete