Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Book Review: Don't Even Think About It

Don't Even Think About It by Sarah MlynowskiDon't Even Think About It by Sarah Mlynowski

eBook provided via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

We weren't always like this. We used to be average New York City high school sophomores. Until our homeroom went for flu shots. We were prepared for some side effects. Maybe a headache. Maybe a sore arm. We definitely didn't expect to get telepathic powers. But suddenly we could hear what everyone was thinking. Our friends. Our parents. Our crushes. Now we all know that Tess is in love with her best friend, Teddy. That Mackenzie cheated on Cooper. That, um, Nurse Carmichael used to be a stripper.

Since we've kept our freakish skill a secret, we can sit next to the class brainiac and ace our tests. We can dump our boyfriends right before they dump us. We know what our friends really think of our jeans, our breath, our new bangs. We always know what's coming. Some of us will thrive. Some of us will crack. None of us will ever be the same. So stop obsessing about your ex. We're always listening. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

This was a fast, fun read about a group of high school students who develop telepathy after getting a flu shot. Turns out the vaccine was "tainted" and now they can hear everyone's thoughts.

Who hasn't wished that they could read minds at one time or the other? I know I have! But according to this book, the reality is much different. When there's no way to filter the thoughts, things can get a bit....loud.

The teens behave as you would expect telepathic teens to behave, from seeing what that cute boy really thinks of you to cheating on a test. The group of teenagers was a little stereotypical (smart Asian girl, mean pretty girl, etc), but it didn't bother me.

This would make a great book to take to the beach, as it's what I consider a light read. Fun, but not too thought-provoking.

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, wouldn't that be awful? I'd hate to be telepathic.

    Put off slightly by the cover (yes, I know I shouldn't be) it does however sound like a fun read though I'm pretty sure you must be able to guess some of the things going through the girls heads almost before you've read the actual words on the page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I think I would love the idea of telepathy, but would probably hate the reality. Who wants to know that your crush thinks you're an idiot? Or worse, doesn't even know your name! *L*

      Delete
  2. I'd hate to always hear people's thoughts...but it would be cool if you could control it. haha Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, control would be key!

      Delete
  3. I am looking for some fun, beach reads. This sounds like an interesting one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think this would be a great beach read, as it's something you can put down & pick up as many times as you like!

      Delete
  4. Fun beach reads are OK. This one sounds cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a light, fluffy read that I think sounds perfect for the pool or beach!

      Delete
  5. I actually have this on my wish list. She's hit or miss with me. Read things I liked and things I didn't like, so I'm glad I got to read a review of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will be curious to hear what you think of this one, as it's getting mixed reviews.

      Delete