Book Review: John Dreamer | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: John Dreamer

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, March 28, 2014

Book Review: John Dreamer

Book Review:  John Dreamer by Elise Celine

John Dreamer by Elise Celine

Andy wasn’t usually sure about much, but she was absolutely certain this was the weirdest day of her life as she stood stranded in the middle of a great white room with six strangers. Well, they were mostly strangers. She could have sworn she’d seen the guy with the green eyes before, and maybe that was why he kept staring at her.

When a man calling himself the Guardian appeared and said they had come to make their deepest dreams come true, they embark on an adventure none of them ever imagined, and the consequences of their actions would change them forever.

"John Dreamer" is the first in a series of books set in the confines of the Great White Room. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

This story has an interesting premise, but I'm not entirely sure if the Great White Room is a real place or somewhere you visit while dreaming. I found it intriguing that they could help make your deepest dreams come true, but was left with several questions:  how did they know your deepest dream? How exactly could they make them come true? Who were the other people in the Great White Room? How were the dreamers chosen? Inquiring minds want to know!

We first encounter the Great White Room the same time we meet Andy. She's the first to arrive, but is soon joined by six others. They introduce themselves, all wondering where they are and how they got there. The Guardian appears, but leaves them just as confused as they were before his arrival. And then their adventure begins!

While I did enjoy this story and am looking forward to the sequel, the writing felt a little young to me. Nothing I can put my finger on, but I got the impression that this story was written with a younger audience in mind than your usual Young Adult book. Some of the dreamer's issues were resolved rather quickly and a little simplistically in my opinion, and I would have liked it if some of the dreamers stuck around a little longer. 

Overall, not a bad introduction to a new series. Some of the characters could have been fleshed out a little more, but I'm still interested in seeing where the author takes this series next! New dreamers? Or will she pick up where this one left off? Looking forward to it!


eBook provided via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

4 comments:

  1. Sounds intriguing!! I'm glad you liked it, despite the young tone. Hopefully questions will be answered as the books go on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, as I really want to know what happens next!

      Delete
  2. The whole concept is interesting and I am intriguing with the white room!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I really hope they explain the room in the next book!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u