Recovery from my bionic upgrade (aka knee replacement) is taking longer than expected, so I'm still offline. Hoping to be back soon, so please send good vibes and happy thoughts my way! more details

Monday, March 31, 2014

Book Review: I See You Made an Effort

Book Review:  I See You Made an Effort by Annabelle Gurwitch
I See You Made an Effort by Annabelle Gurwitch

Annabelle Gurwitch the humorist The Washington Post calls hilarious and O, The Oprah Magazine slyly subversive returns with a wickedly funny new book chronicling the vicissitudes of turning 50. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

Humor is very subjective and, unfortunately, my sense of humor is different than the authors. I was hoping for an amusing look at aging from a woman's perspective, something along the lines of Nora Ephron maybe, but was sadly disappointed.

While I could sometimes relate to the issues covered, none of them really tickled my funnybone. I don't expect to laugh out loud at books like this, but I do expect to chuckle knowingly, nod wisely, or grin to myself every now and again. Unfortunately, I was not amused.

Not all of the stories are supposed to be amusing, which I found strange in a book marketed as "wickedly funny," but these serious tales turned out to be my favorites. The story of an old friend dying of cancer was incredibly touching.

As I said, humor is subjective. This one wasn't for me, but others might enjoy it.



eARC received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

8 comments:

  1. As you say humour is dependent on so many things and what makes one person laughs leaves another wondering why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I think that's one of the reasons I tend to avoid humor books.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that this humor wasn't your style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humor and really subjective, and written humor without facial expressions or vocal inflections is even harder! I think it helps if you've heard the humorist speak before, because then you "hear' their voice in your head as you're reading.

      Delete
  3. I feel like I'm starting to get better at describing writing styles as I read and review more, but one thing that still gets me is describing humor. It is very subjective and I often have a hard time putting my finger on why it did or didn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's exactly how humor works. It's a hit or miss kind of thing. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I think it's easier to do it in front of a crowd so you can make adjustments as you go!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, as I really appreciated it! Leave me a link and I'll swing by to say hello!

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2014 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u