January Wrap Up | Alexia's Books and Such: January Wrap Up

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, February 3, 2014

January Wrap Up

library-6
It's a brand new year, so want to do a monthly wrap up to keep me on track!

Books read

In order to meet my Goodreads goal of 100 books, I need to read 8.33 books per month. According to Goodreads, I've read 6 books this month:

  1. Dark Currents by Jacqueline Carey
  2. Dark Prelude by E.J. Wesley
  3. Dragon's Game by E.J. Wesley
  4. Perfect by Rachel Joyce
  5. Grim anthology
  6. Killer Frost by Jennifer Estep

Blog Goals

Thanks to the Blogger Challenge and mini Bloggiesta, I managed to cross a few more things off my to-do list! Need to remember to use my Google calendar to schedule reminders for backing up my blog every month and cross-posting my reviews. I also want to become more comfortable with Google+.

Commenting

Think I did a great job of sticking to my goal of commenting on at least 5 blogs per day! Started off easy by taking part in Parajunkee's Book Blogger New Year's Challenge at the beginning of the month, then the mini Bloggiesta weekend.

I tried something a little different by keeping track of where I commented and if I received any comments back. I love spreadsheets, so had a little fun with this! Because of the events I took part in, I averaged 25 comments a day! A bit discouraged that I didn't get the comment-love results I had hoped for, as commenting on that many blogs took more time than expected. Will stick to my 5+ comments per day goal, as that's easier.

Time Management

Over the years, I've gotten into the habit of multi-tasking. I usually have 6 or more windows open at once, with several tabs in each window (thank you Chrome!). I've found that rather than make me more productive, it's had the opposite effect and I tend to bounce around and get nothing done.

Decided to try something new and focus on one task at a time. To help with this goal, I downloaded a free countdown clock at www.timer-tab.com (has other options, but I like the countdown clock). I changed the YouTube alarm to the Dr Who theme, and it makes me smile every time it goes off. I give myself a set amount of time and when the alarm goes off, move to the next item on my list. This way, I don't lose time playing Facebook games or bopping around the blogosphere.

Overall

Not a bad start to a new year, and I got quite a few things done. Need to keep on top of my reading if I want to make my yearly reading goal, and I would like to get at least one week ahead on scheduled posts so I'm not always scrambling to write reviews.

The countdown clock seems to be working, but it's harder than expected to resist the siren call of multi-tasking. It's still a work in progress.

How did you do in January? Meet all of your goals? Have any time management tricks you'd like to share?

9 comments:

  1. Woohoo!! Great start to the year!!

    I am surprisingly ahead of schedule for my reading so far (3 books) and same with the blog! This is the most organized I have been in a very long time. We will see if I can keep it up though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job Tif! I seem to be always playing catch up, so I'd love to finally get ahead (just so I can know what it feels like). *L*

      Delete
  2. That's really good! I am still trying to keep to my goals, too. Commenting more is one of my goals and I think I am doing pretty good, too! Once you get started- it becomes easier and part of the "schedule" (or something like that! LOL).

    You did a great job on the books- I am not sure how many I finished but I doubt six, lol.

    I also do the million tabs open, too! Haha. I am terrible!

    Great job on your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I'm getting better with resisting multi-tasking, it still feels weird not to have a million tabs open, ready and waiting for me! *L*

      Delete
  3. I think it is a great start to your year. I hear you when it comes to commenting. I haven't gone so far as spreadsheets, but do understand.

    :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time management can certainly be difficult. I try and find various times to do certain things. I like to schedule posts in advance as much as I can, and then find random times to comment back. I'm always moving between blogs, etc. and school when online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'm on Killer Frost right now. I'm excited for this one!

    Time management? Get a broken clock and set it to whatever time you want. Yea, I'm not good at time management but I get things done! Whee! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm a multi window person too. I love having all these tabs open... But, yes, it can slow me down on some days. Easily distracted. :) Sounds like you are starting the year off wonderfully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have set my goal to a 100 books too and am also a little behind hopefully we will catch up wish you luck!
    Here's my blog link: http://ramblingsofabookworm3.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u