Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Book Review: Grim

Book Review:  Grim anthology
Grim anthology

Inspired by classic fairy tales, but with a dark and sinister twist, Grim contains short stories from some of the best voices in young adult literature today. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

This is one of those rare collections where almost every, single story is good! I could usually guess which classic fairy tale inspired each story, but have to admit that a couple had me scratching my head. That didn't take away from enjoying the stories, but the ones I recognized seemed just a little more fun.

One of the stories, Thinner Than Water by Saundra Mitchell, actually gave me chills and really stayed with me. Others were amusing, some were tender, and some, like Beauty and the Chad by Sarah Rees Brennan, made me laugh out loud!

Better by Shaun David Hutchinson and A Real Boy by Claudia Gray were nice compliments to each other. Figment by Jeri Smith Ready was a sweet tale of what muse might inspire artists, and The Brothers Pigglett by Julie Kagawa was an amusing take on the Three Little Pigs.

It's hard to review an anthology like this without giving too much away, but I can highly recommend this one to anyone who likes fairy tale retellings, YA, talented authors, or just plain good stories!


eARC received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

7 comments:

  1. That sounds interesting! I do love a twist on fairytales!

    PS I got the package you sent! Thank you!!! I need to get yours out to you, lol. I've been sick so I'm so behind

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a real mix of stories and styles, thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not usually into short stories but this one sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to check this out!! I don't know a lot of fairy tales, but it sounds like a fantastic collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, good to hear! :D You and I are the big antho fans. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I really want to pick this up now! Nicely reviewed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just added this one to my list! I love some good fairy tale retellings!

    ReplyDelete