Book Review: Dark Currents | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Dark Currents

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Book Review: Dark Currents

 photo darkcurrents.jpgDark Currents by Jacqueline Carey

The Midwestern resort town of Pemkowet boasts a diverse population: eccentric locals, wealthy summer people, and tourists by the busload - not to mention fairies, sprites, vampires, naiads, ogres, and a whole host of eldritch folk, presided over by Hel, a reclusive Norse goddess. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

Pemkowet is a unique place, a small town that just happens to be home to otherworldly creatures (aka the eldritch) as well as humans. Because of this, it's become something of a tourist attraction for curious humans.

Daisy Johanssen is the liaison between the human police department and Hel, the Norse goddess of the underworld who rules the local territory. A half-breed fathered by a minor demon and raised by her mother, Daisy fights a daily battle to resist her father's influence. Giving in to temptation and invoking her demonic birthright would bring about Armageddon, so it's no easy battle.

When a young college student drowns under suspicious circumstances, the negative publicity not only hurts the town's tourist trade, but also threatens the town's otherworldly population. Not all humans are fans, and there's a growing movement to destroy Hel's domain and run all of the eldritch out of town. It's Daisy's job to get to the bottom of this mystery before things get too far out of hand.

Really liked Daisy, as she's doing the best that she can to live up to her position of Hel's enforcer as well as stay on the straight and narrow path to avoid accidentally ending the world. No easy feat, but she's managing to pull it off. While she does fight her personal battle, Daisy still has a sense of humor and doesn't let anything bring her down. I think that a lot of this is due to her strong support system of family and friends. Her mother is a very strong, good woman who is an excellent role model for Daisy. I loved her mother, as parents are either absent or poor role models in most of the books I've read, so yea for Mom Power!

Found this a very promising start to the Agent of Hel series, and looking forward to reading Autumn Bones, the second book!

12 comments:

  1. Liking the sound of Hel. I think a friend of mine mentioned this author to me in which case I may get to read this as she tends to pass on books that she thinks I'll like,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get a chance to read it, as I'd love to hear what you think about Daisy!

      Delete
  2. Oooh! I love Jacqueline Carey! I need to check out this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've read her, but am a new fan!

      Delete
  3. I've wanted to try Jacqueline's books but haven't been able to get there. This does sound like a great start to a new series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of her before, so glad that Tammy was nice enough to give me her copy!

      Delete
  4. Glad this was a nice start to a new stories. I also love finding books where families or parents are given more attention...they are absent a lot of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's a really weird trend, as how many teenagers in real life have no parents around? Most have at least one parent/relative who would notice if something strange started happening!

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I'll definitely be picking this up! I know a friend of mind recommended Carey to me before. Nicely reviewed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! I'm already looking forward to reading the next one, just putting off buying it because I know I wouldn't be able to wait and I'm pretty booked right now. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh Norse mythology! Hel! :) This world also sounds interesting and I'm so glad you liked Daisy. I so need to start this series, it sounds fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how many books I've read lately where Hel has made an appearance! Norse mythology seems to be trending lately, which is pretty cool. Hope you're able to read this one!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u