Thursday, January 9, 2014

BBNYC Day 9: Cons or Events You Hope To Attend

Parajunkee is hosting a Book Blogger New Year's Challenge to start 2014 off on a good note! I may not be able to participate every day, but will do my best to visit everyone else!

 photo newyearschallenge.png

Day 9: Cons or Events You Hope To Attend

My go-to easy answer is BEA (Book Expo America)! I've been fortunate enough to attend several times in the past, but I've since moved out of the area and it wouldn't be as easy for me to attend. While I've already been offered a place to stay (friends are awesome!), I'd still have to figure out a way to get there. 

Also, there's the issue of whether or not my knee would hold up to the serious workout that is BEA. I remember collapsing on the couch every night, totally wiped out, back when I had two good knees. I have visions of collapsing in the corner of the Javits Center, begging someone to please drag me over to the Penguin booth. Ha! 

There's a YA book festival closer to home called YALL Fest that I've heard good things about, so thinking about going to that one if I can't swing BEA. It's not all-inclusive like BEA, but sounds like fun!

And someday I'd love to attend the big Comic Con in San Diego. After I win the lottery, of course. :)

14 comments:

  1. I've already mentioned that I want to go to BEA, but I would also be happy with a Comic Con as well! I've never attended either, but think they would be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BEA is awesome, but think Comic Con would be incredible in it's own right! Some day! :)

      Delete
  2. While I can understand your concern with collapsing on the floor at Javitts for BEA, that's what carpets are made for and there are certainly enough spaces where a couple of older book types could shake off their weary feet. That, or a motorized golf cart. A small one.

    I've have been reading a lot with YALL Fest this past year and I would certainly recommend you give it a try if at all possible.

    San Diego Comic Con is my dream geek fest. I'd love to get out there for it sometime. It is possible, though, that it has now become too big for its britches.

    Still, I have BEA, which I'll be registering for shortly, as well as the New York Comic Con. See what you miss when you move to sunnier climes? Not to mention the Tex Mex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also missed the worst of the polar vortex, so no taunting! And I think that your memory is a little faulty, as carpets are few and far between at BEA! Maybe a little cart would work, with a basket in the front for my books. *L*

      Delete
  3. I swear, every year I have dreams about BEA when the posts start going up. I'm hoping to make it this year, but the prospect of going alone for the first time is a bit daunting!

    SDCC would be amazing, too...although I can only imagine the stress of trying to get around/get into events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went alone my first two years and while scary, it wasn't as terrifying as expected. I studied up on all of the helpful hints, wore my comfy shoes, and had my spreadsheets all set! Really hope you're able to make it, as BEA is the best!

      Delete
  4. I'd love to go to any of these! But I think the only way I'd ever get there is if I won an all expenses paid trip... One can dream though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dreams are always good! And you never know, we could hit the lottery one day or win that all-expense paid trip!

      Delete
  5. I've been to BEA once, but I wasn't able to enjoy it as much as I would have liked because I only got to go one day and even then not all day. I saw quite a bit, but it would be nice to go again and REALLY experience it.

    I'd also love to do Comic Con, though that would be harder to swing since I'm closer to NYC than CA. haha My sister would love it too though, so maybe we can make it happen sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're able to attend BEA in it's entirety someday, as they have something different each day. It's an amazing experience!

      Delete
  6. There are some amazing authors at the YALL Fest. I'm sure you'll still have a great time, even if you can't go to BEA this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen several posts about it and it looks like a great time! I've never been to a book fest before, so would be a fun, new experience!

      Delete
  7. I'm so jealous that you have so many amazing cons and fests close to you. :) London seems to host more formal events for literary fests!

    - Farhana @ Digesting The Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not having easy access to NYC is one of the few things I miss about moving away from Jersey. :(

      Delete