Parajunkee is hosting a Book Blogger New Year's Challenge to start 2014 off on a good note! I won't be able to participate every day, but will do my best to visit everyone else!
Day 7: Top Ten Book Blogger Pet Peeves
This is such an interesting topic, and I'm really looking forward to reading everyone's lists! I was originally going to write about my pet peeves in books, then decided to go with the pet peeves I've developed since becoming a blogger. So here, in no particular order, are my Top Ten Blogging Pet Peeves:
- CAPTCHA! - I despise this with every fiber of my being! I just recently found out that it's an acronym for "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart." I can't read half of them, so assumed it was designed by demons just to torment us...
- Spam - Don't care for spam either, whether it's a straightforward marketing comment or someone who copies and pastes the same comment on every blog meme. If you leave a comment asking me to follow your blog with nothing to suggest that you even skimmed my post, then I consider that spam as well.
- Poor Blog Design Choices - Wasn't sure what to label this one, but I was tempted to stop following a few blogs recently when they changed their design to complimentary background and font color. If I can't read your post without highlighting it, I'm going to move on to the next blog! Same thing with a funky font. Please don't make it painful to read your posts!
- Mean Girls Syndrome - It's fine if you don't like a book, but there's no reason to attack the author or readers who liked the book. If I don't like a book, I try to explain what didn't work for me and point out at least a few positive things as well. Why call the authors names? Why attack readers who enjoyed the story? We all have different tastes, so get over yourself already!
- Pimpin' Ain't Easy - Sorry, couldn't resist that label! I guess this counts as a pet peeve, as it annoys me and I still struggle with whether or not I should "pimp" my blog. I appreciate it when others leave me a link to their blog so I can return the comment favor, but when it comes time for me to leave a link, I feel weirdly nervous. Am I being too pushy? No one else has left a link, so should I leave one anyway? So I'm oddly inconsistent and leave links sporadically.
- Where's the Comment Love? - Have to admit that I get a little discouraged when I find a great new blog, visit almost daily, comment on every post, but never hear hide nor hair from the blogger. I don't expect every blogger to reply to every comment, especially if they're a popular blog with tons of comments, but a visit or two wouldn't kill them. The end result is that I usually stop leaving comments.
- Book Blasts - I've taken part in a book blast or two, but quickly grew tired of them when they started clogging up my blog feed. I don't mind a handful, but when almost every blogger out there is posting the same content? No thank you!
- Crazy Giveaway Requirements - Contests are a wonderful way to attract new followers, but if you require me to follow you, tweet about the giveaway, write a blog post about it, post it on Facebook, create a Pinterest board, write an essay, then jump through several other hoops, well, nothing is worth that and I won't enter. I don't mind if these are extra entries that I can skip, but could you please stop making entries so hard?
- Overly Productive Postings - I understand posting once or twice daily if you're a productive writer, but a dozen or so posts in one day? Really? I have a hard enough time keeping up with the blogs I follow, so someone who posts 20 times a day will probably be removed from my feed. The posts may be really fascinating marvels of writing genius, but I just can't keep up with you and won't even try.
- Auto-play - Since I usually open several windows at a time, it's very annoying when an ad or music starts playing and I have to hunt the offender down to turn it off. And if I have to play Find The Widget in order to turn it off? Steam comes out of my ears!
Wow! Coming up with ten pet peeves was easier than I thought! Pet peeves are a personal thing and I realize that what annoys me might be perfectly okay with you, and vice versa. Am I being unreasonable? What are some of your pet peeves?
And one just for the road:
And one just for the road: