BBNYC Day 7: Top Ten Book Blogger Pet Peeves | Alexia's Books and Such: BBNYC Day 7: Top Ten Book Blogger Pet Peeves

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

BBNYC Day 7: Top Ten Book Blogger Pet Peeves

Parajunkee is hosting a Book Blogger New Year's Challenge to start 2014 off on a good note! I won't be able to participate every day, but will do my best to visit everyone else!

 photo newyearschallenge.png

Day 7: Top Ten Book Blogger Pet Peeves

This is such an interesting topic, and I'm really looking forward to reading everyone's lists! I was originally going to write about my pet peeves in books, then decided to go with the pet peeves I've developed since becoming a blogger. So here, in no particular order, are my Top Ten Blogging Pet Peeves:

  1. CAPTCHA! - I despise this with every fiber of my being! I just recently found out that it's an acronym for "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart." I can't read half of them, so assumed it was designed by demons just to torment us...

  2. Spam - Don't care for spam either, whether it's a straightforward marketing comment or someone who copies and pastes the same comment on every blog meme. If you leave a comment asking me to follow your blog with nothing to suggest that you even skimmed my post, then I consider that spam as well.

  3. Poor Blog Design Choices - Wasn't sure what to label this one, but I was tempted to stop following a few blogs recently when they changed their design to complimentary background and font color. If I can't read your post without highlighting it, I'm going to move on to the next blog! Same thing with a funky font. Please don't make it painful to read your posts!

  4. Mean Girls Syndrome - It's fine if you don't like a book, but there's no reason to attack the author or readers who liked the book. If I don't like a book, I try to explain what didn't work for me and point out at least a few positive things as well. Why call the authors names? Why attack readers who enjoyed the story? We all have different tastes, so get over yourself already!

  5. Pimpin' Ain't Easy - Sorry, couldn't resist that label! I guess this counts as a pet peeve, as it annoys me and I still struggle with whether or not I should "pimp" my blog. I appreciate it when others leave me a link to their blog so I can return the comment favor, but when it comes time for me to leave a link, I feel weirdly nervous. Am I being too pushy? No one else has left a link, so should I leave one anyway? So I'm oddly inconsistent and leave links sporadically. 

  6. Where's the Comment Love? - Have to admit that I get a little discouraged when I find a great new blog, visit almost daily, comment on every post, but never hear hide nor hair from the blogger. I don't expect every blogger to reply to every comment, especially if they're a popular blog with tons of comments, but a visit or two wouldn't kill them. The end result is that I usually stop leaving comments. 

  7. Book Blasts - I've taken part in a book blast or two, but quickly grew tired of them when they started clogging up my blog feed. I don't mind a handful, but when almost every blogger out there is posting the same content? No thank you!

  8. Crazy Giveaway Requirements - Contests are a wonderful way to attract new followers, but if you require me to follow you, tweet about the giveaway, write a blog post about it, post it on Facebook, create a Pinterest board, write an essay, then jump through several other hoops, well, nothing is worth that and I won't enter. I don't mind if these are extra entries that I can skip, but could you please stop making entries so hard?

  9. Overly Productive Postings - I understand posting once or twice daily if you're a productive writer, but a dozen or so posts in one day? Really? I have a hard enough time keeping up with the blogs I follow, so someone who posts 20 times a day will probably be removed from my feed. The posts may be really fascinating marvels of writing genius, but I just can't keep up with you and won't even try.

  10. Auto-play - Since I usually open several windows at a time, it's very annoying when an ad or music starts playing and I have to hunt the offender down to turn it off. And if I have to play Find The Widget in order to turn it off? Steam comes out of my ears!

Wow! Coming up with ten pet peeves was easier than I thought! Pet peeves are a personal thing and I realize that what annoys me might be perfectly okay with you, and vice versa. Am I being unreasonable? What are some of your pet peeves?

And one just for the road:


41 comments:

  1. *standing ovation* I agree with each and every one of these and these are many of my same peeves. The multiple posts a day don't bother me but excessive would (I don't have any that do).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaime! It's strange, but I've noticed several blogs have started posting multiple book blasts, cover reveals, book releases, memes, etc all on the same day. I don't mind if someone posts a few times a day, so long as it's an actual post and not filler.

      Delete
  2. Ah the dreaded Captcha and word verification. Yet to find anyone who actually likes it, I hate using it but alas find it a necessary evil.

    As for blogs that are unclear to read or hard to navigate it, only the other day I spent a good 10 minutes looking for where to leave a comment only to eventually give in which left me feeling rather rude .

    Anyway, great post. I agree with all that you say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually easier now that they've switched to numbers, but I can never read the letters and usually have to guess. And I forgot about the hidden comment buttons! I had one the other day were when I finally found the comment button, it didn't work. I couldn't find their contact info anywhere either, so had no way to tell them. I know what you mean by feeling rude, as I really wanted to tell her how much I enjoyed her post!

      Delete
  3. What a great list and I think sometimes I am guilty of a few of them. So please let me aplogize now :) I am working on my post now and it should be up soon.

    I have never left a link in a post unless I was told to. I always feel awkaward about doing it. I know if someone comments on my blog that I will click on their name and go and comment.

    That is another thing I am bad at is commenting. Trying to do better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! Glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels awkward leaving a link! Yet at the same time, I really appreciate it when others leave me a link. I need to work on that. Also working on my commenting!

      Delete
  4. I hate captcha! So annoying! Great list :)

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand why bloggers use Captcha, I just wish it wasn't necessary because it's so annoying!

      Delete
  5. Really good list, but I particularly agree with "Where's the Comment Love?" (I did mention the same issue in my list). No one expects people to slave at leaving comments/replying to them, but some bloggers seem not to care at all - not even for their own blog, since they don't acknowledge their visitors...

    Also:
    "when almost every blogger out there is posting the same content? No thank you!"
    That's why I don't do the mass promotion thing and never will!

    *plauds list* :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roberta! I've been lured into the mass promotion thing a few times with promises that everyone would receive unique content, but we all wound up posting the exact same thing. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I felt duped, so won't be doing that again!

      Delete
  6. Great list ... with this challenge I'm up to posting about 3 times daily. I hope I'm not driving you crazy ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your posts don't count, as your content is always awesome! :)

      Delete
  7. Love your blog today and reading your pet peeves. I agree with them all especially the first one.
    Mike Draper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike! I really, really don't like captcha! It's gotten a little better with the numbers, but the letters drive me mad!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 5 and 10 are definite peeves of mine as well (and admittedly I'm kind of bad on number 6...). I'm not terribly good at pimping my blog either and mostly rely on well word of mouth and like BEA to get the word out (or my sister...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pimping blogs isn't easy, so I'm really glad to know that I'm not alone in this! I know it's just promoting your blog, but I still feel weird leaving links. Maybe I could hire your sister? *L*

      Delete
  10. I agree with several of your peeves, especially the one about the fancy fonts. If the fonts are too small or too hard to read, I have to leave the site. I'm getting old and it is just too hard! lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not old Laura, it's the computer's fault! *L*

      Delete
  11. I think your pet peeves make a lot of sense. I don't like captcha either because they are SO difficult to read. I've seen lately too that they tend to be numbers. Easier to read, but more annoying to type out.

    I don't mind if people leave a link to their blog in the comment. I always comment back on people's blogs if they visit me, so it makes it easy to visit them sometimes!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On a logical level, I know that leaving a link with my comment makes it easier to visit me. But I'm still struggling with it as I feel awkward and pushy. I know it's silly, but I'm working on it!

      Delete
  12. I hate captcha, too. Why oh why do people use it? Just moderate your comments. I also agree about comments but I understand. It does take effort to comment and I know many people just don't have the time. Though it would be nice occasionally....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think almost anything would be better than the dreaded captcha, as it's so annoying! Commenting is a tough one because it's so time consuming, and I've seen it on several New Year's Resolution lists. Wish there was more time in the day to do everything I'd like!

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. I'm telling you, they were invented by demons in order to torment us!!! *L*

      Delete
  14. I have to agree with you. I hate having the catcha on my blog for comments, but the dang spam gets so out of hand. It's terrible. And yes! I HATE the mean girl syndrome with bloggers. That turns me off so fast. I understand you don't like a book, that's okay, why be so nasty about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been lucky so far and have only had to deal with minor spam (knock wood), it's just that I can't read half the captch letters and it drives me nuts! And I've never understood why the mean girls feel like they have to attack authors or anyone who doesn't agree with them. Can't stand drama queens!

      Delete
  15. I definitely agree with all of your pet peeves. I had no idea what captcha stood for until now, ha I guess this is the thing I've learned today.

    I feel the same about 'pimping' my blog. Unless I'm leaving a comment on blogger (where I physically can't link my blog any other way) I don't leave a link to my blog. I just fill in the "website" section of the comment form instead. I hate the needy comments that amount to: "look at me! look at my blog!" so I post my link sporadically too.

    - Farhana @ Digesting The Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't tell you how happy I am to find out I'm not alone on the uneasiness of pimping my blog! Hopefully this will help ease my awkward feelings and make it easier to leave links. :)

      Delete
  16. CAPTCHA! The bane of my internet existence. I thought I was the only one with issues reading them, I'm glad I'm not alone!

    And I'm totally with you on #8. I wasn't quite sure how to summarize it so I left it off my list. You put it so eloquently.

    http://secondrunreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. My name is Terri too, and we even spell it the same way! Nice to "meet" you! :)

      Delete
  17. Great post! I wholeheartedly agree with all of what you said above. :) I appreciate you taking time to visit me today at Love. Life. Read and my Bookish Goals for the year. I had to pop over and see what you had going on and this post caught my eye.

    New Follower :) Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie! I don't usually post every day, but having fun with this challenge! :)

      Delete
  18. I actually agree with every single one of these as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Boo/Hiss to autoplay and captcha! Sometimes the autoplay is ocean sounds from a book banner and I can deal with that (I find it calming after all the captca haha).

    I pimp my blog on meme posts like Teaser Tuesday, Waiting on Wednesday, etc. I do it because I really appreciate when bloggers leave them for me. It makes it easier for me to navigate to new bloggers. Of course, as people become more familiar (like you are!) it's not as big of a deal. Fabulous list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy! Autoplay isn't as bad as it used to be, but I sometimes listen to music while blogging so it's still a big pet peeve of mine!

      Delete
  20. Every fiber of your being?!?! tee, hee!!! Yep, that sums it up for me, too. Oh, and pimping your blog - I only do that for memes when the comment section doesn't do it for me automatically. Otherwise, I don't bother. They can find me if they want to.

    But I do have to admit, I'm guilty of #6 :( I post and then I get busy and days go by and oops... sometimes I never check to see who commented. I'm a horrible person. I'm trying to be better about it this year, though, resolutions and all :) Wish me tons of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not a horrible person Kristin, just busy! It can take me awhile to check comments sometimes, but I'm trying to do better. Yep, those pesky resolutions. *L* Good luck to us both!

      Delete
  21. Haha, pimpin' ;-) This is why I was excited to put the CommentLuv plugin on my blog since it makes it really easy for people to leave a link without having to worry about being pushy ;-). I'd say if there isn't a place to put a link in the form, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like CommentLuv, just haven't figured out how to add it yet. One of these days I'll figure it out, as I think it's really cool!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u