Thursday, January 2, 2014

BBNYC Day 2: Pros & Cons of Blogging

Parajunkee is hosting a Book Blogger New Year's Challenge to start 2014 off on a good note! I may not be able to participate every day, but will do my best to visit everyone else!

 photo newyearschallenge.png

Day 2:  Your Pros & Cons of Blogging List


PROS
  1. Meeting other readers who are as passionate about books as I am! I've found several new friends through blogging!
  2. Discovering new titles and authors
  3. Having the opportunity to attend events like BEA
  4. Meeting some of my favorite authors, live & in person! squee!
  5. Commenting. I love receiving comments as well as leaving them, and love the sense of community that commenting encourages!

CONS
  1. Pressure to post more than I can currently manage (self-imposed, but still...)
  2. Blogging drama llamas (ugh!)
  3. Blogger envy. It's hard sometimes not to get a little bit jealous when another blogger has more followers/more ARCs/a better blog design/etc. I find myself both happy for them, but sad for me. Then I pull up my big girl panties and get over it. 
  4. Burn out. I keep falling into blogging/reading ruts and losing my mojo.
  5. Commenting. It can take up a lot of time, especially when you follow as many blogs as I do. Then there's the pressure to say something unique and interesting. Sometimes I've got nothing beyond "I enjoyed your review" or "great post!", which is pretty lame.


Commenting is a double-edged sword for me, so made both lists. I love it, but it can take up an awful lot of time! Still working on finding a happy medium. Would appreciate any helpful tips!  

Curious to see what everyone else considers a pro or con for blogging!

19 comments:

  1. Yes to all your pros and cons! Lol on the drama llamas. I also struggle with comments, but sometimes just acknowledging that you read a post makes the whole lame "Great post!" comment not such a bad way to respond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I will probably always struggle with commenting, but figure that a lame comment is better than nothing.

      Delete
  2. I also have blog envy! I've only been blogging for about a year so I always see other's blogs and wish mine looked better. I'm learning a little bit at a time! I haven't yet experienced any drama but I'm sure I will. Great post!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that blogger envy is normal, but what's important is why you react. I give myself a minute of envy, then move on. :) Most of what I've learned about blogging has been from other bloggers and during events like Bloggiesta, but I think your blog looks great!

      Delete
  3. Blogger envy definitely gets me too! Especially when I see a blog younger than mine that has a lot more followers and is just generally a lot more popular. I let it seep in for a while and then I remind myself that I probably didn't put in as much work as the other person and let it go or try to transform the envy into motivation.

    It's hard going sometimes being a book blogger right!

    Happy New Year!

    - Farhana @ Digesting The Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, those bloggers usually put in more work than me so I can either let it go or work to make my blog better! Happy New Year Farhana!

      Delete
  4. I definitely have the follow-through issue. I don't have a lot of time to leave comments on all the blogs I follow and I have been hard pressed for time to seek out new blogs to follow. It takes so much time of which I feel like I have very little, especially when a post can take a couple hours or so depending on what I'm writing.

    I do feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bo! Time seems to be a consistent theme from what I'm seeing on other people's lists, so it's good to know I'm not alone!

      Delete
  5. I LOVE all your pros! I love meeting authors! But I love to meet readers online. I want to meet some of those awesome people someday! Great List!

    My "Day 2: Your Pros & Cons of Blogging" Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite things is "meeting" my fellow readers online! I've met so many awesome people that I now consider friends, even though we've never met in real life!

      Delete
  6. Ya know, I think I just copied your Pros and cons and stuck them up on my blog post!!!!! Seriously, I totally agree with all of them!!! Except BEA... I've never been and I'm seriously a deep shade of green right now!!! See? A blogger is envious of you!! Time to pull my big granny panties up ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL! Thanks Kristin, I really needed that laugh! :)

      I was lucky with BEA, as I lived just across the river in NJ and didn't have to worry about airfare or hotels. Now that we've moved, it's going to be a little harder for me to get there. Just happy that I was able to go when I had the chance!

      Delete
  7. What a great challenge and thank you for such an honest post.
    I can so relate to that touch of envy of the blogger who has a wonderfully designed blog - I'd love to be able to afford someone to design a blog exclusively for me.
    The greatest pro for me has to be meeting wonderful people such as yourself. To think I partly put off blogging for so long because I didn't believe friendships could be made online.
    Anyway, a happy new year to you and yours and may the pros always outweigh the cons. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came close to hiring someone to update my blog design, then changed my mind at the last minute. I think I'd feel reluctant to make any changes to my design once I'd actually paid for something and like to keep my options open. Even though I haven't made any changes in awhile! Guess I'm just ornery! *L*

      Happy New Year to you too, Tracy!

      Delete
  8. Commenting is a double edge sword! There are so many blogs I want to visit because I love them but I just don't have enough time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time is a huge problem, isn't it? I'm still working on it, but for now am using an online countdown clock to focus on one task at a time. Didn't get much done when multi-tasking, so hoping this approach works better for me!

      Delete
  9. I agree with yours too. Commenting is difficult -- we all know that, but it feels so good to get a meaningful comment! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meaningful comments are awesome, but I love getting comments no matter what! Well, except for spam. Hate spam! :(

      Delete
  10. Blogging drama llamas?! Lol. Never heard it put that way.
    I agree it is great to meet other passionate readers!

    ReplyDelete