2014 Reading Challenges | Alexia's Books and Such: 2014 Reading Challenges

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Sunday, January 5, 2014

2014 Reading Challenges

My original plan was to focus on the Goodreads Challenge only, as I didn't manage to complete any of my challenges in 2013. Too much pressure all around. But, as a self-diagnosed sufferer of challenge-acceptitis, I simply can't seem to resist! 

Goodreads Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
This is more of a way for me to keep track of my books, but it's labeled as a challenge so I'm counting it! I didn't make my 2013 goal and only read 66 out of 100 books, but I have high hopes for 2014! Shooting for 100 again, but secretly hoping to read more.


What's In A Name 7

 photo challenge_2014whatsinaname2.png
This will be hosted by The Worm Hole this year, and she's come up with some interesting categories!

The challenge runs from January to December. During this time you choose a book to read from each of the following categories (examples of books you could choose are in brackets):

  1. A reference to time (Eleven Minutes, Before Ever After)
  2. A position of royalty (The People’s Queen, The Last Empress, The Curse Of The Pharaoh)
  3. A number written in letters (The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, A Tale Of Two Cities)
  4. A forename or names (Rebecca, Eleanor & Park, The Unfinished Work Of Elizabeth D.)
  5. A type or element of weather (Gone With The Wind, Red Earth Pouring Rain)
Extra info:
  • Books can be any format (print, audio, ebook).
  • It’s preferred that the books don’t overlap with other challenges, but not a requirement at all.
  • Books cannot overlap categories (for instance my first example, Eleven Minutes, could be used for category 1 or 3 but not both).
  • Creativity for matching the categories is not only allowed, it’s encouraged!
  • You don’t have to make your list of books beforehand, you can choose them as you go.
  • You don’t have to read your chosen books in any particular order.



eBook Challenge

 photo 2014Ebook-2.jpg

Hosted by Workaday Reads, I decided to do this one again in order to keep track of how many ebooks I manage to read. I love my nook and the convenience of carrying around an entire library with me wherever I go! And being able to accept eGalleys has led to some great review opportunities! My goal on this one will be 25 eBooks.

Challenge Guidelines:

  • This challenge will run from Jan 1, 2014 – Dec 31, 2014.
  • Anyone can join, you don’t need to be a blogger. If you don’t have a blog, you can post reviews to any book site (i.e. Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Smashwords, Goodreads, etc).
  • Any genre or length of book counts, as long as it is in ebook format.
  • You can plan your books in advance or as you read them.
  • When you sign up in the linky, put the direct link to your post about joining the E-Book Reading Challenge.
  • Sign-ups will be open until Dec 15, 2014, so feel free to join at any time throughout the year.



Good luck to everyone who signed up for challenges this year!




13 comments:

  1. Have fun with your challenge!

    I gave up signing up for them, lol, because I have NEVER finished one! I am too ADHD for them. LOL. I love reading everybody's updates though!

    www.jaimelovesstuff.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaime! I had the best of intentions, but couldn't resist signing up for two more than planned. Hoping I do better this year than last!

      Delete
  2. All the challenges are still tempting to me, but I'm doing a much better job at staying away! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suey! Guess you have more willpower than I do! *L*

      Delete
  3. Best of luck with all of your challenges! there are so many interesting ones out there. I'm trying to just focus on reading as much as I can this year, so I only signed up for one!

    Lauren from www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best laid plans.... I guess I have a hard time resisting temptation, but at the same time I impressed myself that I only signed up for three! *L*

      Delete
  4. The only challenge I am doing this year is the GR one, but I keep looking at the What's In a Name one and think "this could by my year!" I will probably keep tabs on this one anyway lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't going to do the What's In A Name one this year, but really liked the categories she came up with so couldn't resist!

      Delete
  5. Challenges are so hard to resist!
    I love the sound of the What's In A Name one but I'm saving myself by not clicking on it :)
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have more willpower than I do, Lettie! *L*

      Delete
  6. Good luck with your challenges! I'm doing the usual Goodreads Challenge and will likely sign up for RIP, but that's it for me this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on your challenges too, Tif!

      Delete
  7. Glad you like the categories for What's In A Name. I appreciate the feedback, being my first year it was daunting to post them, not knowing if people would like them!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u