My Book Haul (30) | Alexia's Books and Such...: My Book Haul (30)

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Saturday, October 19, 2013

My Book Haul (30)

My Book Haul

In need of a new way to showcase titles, I decided that My Book Haul seems like a good fit. I like giving books a little special attention as sometimes it can be awhile before I'm able to review them. Sad to say, but some get put on the shelf and gather a little dust before I'm able to give them the love they deserve. I've included links to Goodreads if you want more information on the books.

Purchased:

The next pick for my book club. Was going to skip this as I don't usually read non-fiction, much less memoirs, but didn't want to be a book snob so decided to at least take a look. Read the ebook sample and was hooked! Very well written and interesting, so looking forward to discussing this one next month!

 photo samekindofdifferent.jpg
Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall & Denver Moore

Meet Denver, a man raised under plantation-style slavery in Louisiana in the 1960s; a man who escaped, hopping a train to wander, homeless, for eighteen years on the streets of Dallas, Texas. No longer a slave, Denver's life was still hopeless - until God moved. First came a godly woman who prayed, listened, and obeyed. And then came her husband, Ron, an international arts dealer at home in a world of Armani-suited millionaires. And then they all came together.

But slavery takes many forms. Deborah discovers that she has cancer. In the face of possible death, she charges her husband to rescue Denver. Who will be saved, and who will be lost? What is the future for these unlikely three? What is God doing?

Same Kind of Different As Me is the emotional story of their story: a telling of pain and laughter, doubt and tears, dug out between the bondages of this earth and the free possibility of heaven. No reader will ever forget it.

***

Kevin Hearne. An Iron Druid book. This one was a no-brainer as soon as I saw it suggested on my nook! I have a major crush on Atticus (and Oberon!).

 photo grimoflambs.jpg
Grimoire of the Lamb by Kevin Hearne

There's nothing like an impromptu holiday to explore the birthplace of modern civilisation, but when Atticus and Oberon pursue a book-stealing Egyptian wizard - with a penchant for lamb - to the land of the pharaohs, they find themselves in hot, crocodile-infested water.

The trip takes an even nastier turn when they discover the true nature of the nefarious plot they've been drawn into. On the wrong side of the vengeful cat goddess Bast and chased by an unfathomable number of her yowling four-legged disciples, Atticus must find a way to appease or defeat Egypt's deadliest gods - before his grimoire-grabbing quarry uses them to turn him into mincemeat. (Goodreads)



What did you receive this week?



7 comments:

  1. I've had SAME KIND OF DIFFERENT AS ME sitting in a to-read pile for so long I forgot it was there. You just reminded me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Surprised myself, as I don't normally read memoirs.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness Same Kind of Different As Me sounds wonderful. A book I'm sure I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really like this one Tracy!

      Delete
  3. Ooo, I STILL have to get to Kevin Hearne's series. Dang! Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, you NEED to read The Iron Druid, as Atticus is totally fascinating! And I so want to take Oberon home with me!

      Delete
  4. I've never read Kevin Hearne's series as well lol but I've heard some really great things about it. Hope you enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u