Monday, October 21, 2013

Book Review: Mirror, Mirror

Mirror, Mirror
Mirror, Mirror anthology

Once upon a time…...…in a world far removed from the days when fairy tales were new, five bestselling authors spin versions that take the classic stories into a new dimension. You’ll recognize Hansel and Gretel, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and other enduring characters, but they’ll exist in realms beyond your imagination, where the familiar is transformed into the extraordinary and otherworldly. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

Seems that I can't resist anything with J.D. Robb's name on it. And an anthology to boot? Sold! Doesn't hurt that this collection are inspired by classic fairy tales either, another favorite of mine.

The first story in this collection is Taken In Death by J.D. Robb, and features Dallas, one of my favorite characters! In this twist on Hansel and Gretel, Eve must solve the kidnapping of two young children before it's too late. A clever story that doesn't disappoint, it's my favorite of the four!

The next is If Wishes Were Horses by Mary Blayney. Set in a Derbyshire castle during the 1800s, it involves a magic coin that grants wishes. Not quite sure what fairy tale this one is based on, but it was an enjoyable read (even though I don't normally like historical romances).

Beauty, Sleeping by Elaine Fox is the third in the collection, with a very interesting take on Sleeping Beauty! The "sleeper" in this one is male, and it comes complete with the curse and a good fairy! It was my second favorite of the collection because of it's originality and cleverness!

Fourth is The Christmas Comet by Mary Kay McComas, which is inspired by both The Little Matchgirl and The Star Money (which I've never read and need to look up). Didn't really care for this one, even though Natalie is an admirable character. I just couldn't relate to any of the characters and didn't enjoy this story as much as I enjoyed the other ones.

Last but not least is Stroke of Midnight by R.C. Ryan, inspired by Cinderella.  Sydney has always wanted to visit her father's hometown in Ireland and her dream finally comes true when she discovers a secret stash that he'd been saving so they could go together. Ignoring evil stepmother's advice, she makes the trip and falls in love with the town. She also falls for her handsome seat companion, who happens to live in the town and offers to play tour guide. A little hokey, but sweet.

All in all, I think that this was a good collection and it introduced me to a few new-to-me authors. Well worth reading!

5 comments:

  1. Not normally a fan of either takes of traditional stories or short stories I could be persuaded to read this though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice twist on some of the old tales, so an enjoyable read! Will be curious to see what you think of this one.

      Delete
  2. Oooo, this is a new one to me as well. And I do love my anthos. ;) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I have very similar tastes Melissa! Which is why it's always dangerous when I visit your blog, as my wishlist keeps growing! lol

      Delete
  3. Short stories are hit and miss with me, but it is a great way to sample new authors, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete