Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Book Review: Heart of Venom

Heart of Venom
Heart of Venom by Jennifer Estep

When a terror from the past threatens Gin’s friend and body-disposer, Sophia, Gin will stop at nothing to protect her, even if it means walking straight into a killer’s trap. Meanwhile, the rocky romance between Gin and Owen reaches a turning point - can they reunite and rekindle their love? Or will the things Gin has been forced to do in her line of work as the deadly assassin the Spider keep them apart forever? Assuming, that is, she survives long enough to find out…(Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

Jennifer Estep is one of my favorite authors, and her Elemental Assassin series is one of my favorite series! As much as I love Gin, the Deveraux sisters hold a special place in my heart and I was thrilled when I found out that this book would feature Sophia Deveraux!

Sophia is the goth sister who works with Gin at the Pork Pit. She not only cooks, but also gets rid of the bodies for Gin's "other" job (as the Spider). And she's great at both!

A woman of few words, Sophia is a fascinating character and I've always wondered about her past. In this story, we finally learn how her voice was damaged, get a glimpse into the woman she once was, and learn what helped make her the woman she is today.

Sophia and her sister Jo-Jo are part of Gin's family, and nothing will stop Gin from protecting her family. Even though she knows that she's walking into a trap, Gin is determined to do whatever it takes to help Sophia. That's one of the reasons I love Gin, as she's an assassin with a heart who loves her family and friends.

Without giving too much away, I have to say that this is one of my favorite books in the series so far! I came away with an even greater respect for Sophia, as she is a very brave and strong woman. I have mixed feelings about Owen, but that's because I really want Gin to be happy and I'm not 100% sure if Owen is the right man for the job.

This is a fascinating series with great characters, so I highly recommend it for anyone who loves urban fantasy! The author does a great job of filling in the blanks, so you don't really have to read them in order. It helps with the backstory, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary (especially since this is book #9). Hope you give Gin and the gang a chance, as they're awesome!

Previous reviews:

By a Thread (#6)
Spider's Revenge (#5)
Spider's Bite (#1)



eARC received via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
Release date:  August 27, 2013

4 comments:

  1. I read the first Gin book but haven't gone back. I should!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you do, as the books just keep getting better and better! Yeah, I'm a fangirl. ;)

      Delete
  2. I am so behind in this series. *sigh* That's what review books does to my stacks. I need to get back to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're able to get back to this series soon, as it's one of my favorites!

      Delete