Review: 'Til The World Ends | Alexia's Books and Such: Review: 'Til The World Ends

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, July 8, 2013

Review: 'Til The World Ends

'til the world ends
'Til The World Ends collection

While this is only three stories, I think it still counts as an anthology. I'm already a fan of Julie Kagawa, but haven't read Ann Aguirre or Karen Duvall. Since it's only three stories, will review each one.

Dawn of Eden by Julie Kagawa

Before The Immortal Rules, there was the Red Lung, a relentless virus determined to take out all in its path. For Kylie, the miracle of her survival is also her burden-as a doctor at one of the clinics for the infected, she is forced to witness endless suffering. What's worse, strange things are happening to the remains of the dead, and by the time she befriends Ben Archer, she's beginning to wonder if a global pandemic is the least of her problems.... (Goodreads)

This is a nice prequel to the Immortal Rules series, giving us a glimpse into life right after Red Lung has hit. Kylie is a doctor trying to save as many patients as possible in a temporary clinic set up because all of the hospitals are full. It's a losing battle, but she's giving it her all. I liked Kylie, and grew to like Ben. Wish we had more of a first-hand account of what went wrong, but guess all of the people at the front lines were killed. There's even a cameo of one of the characters in The Immortal Rules, which was a nice touch! Recommended!

Thistle & Thorne by Ann Aguirre

After a catastrophic spill turns the country into a vast chemical wasteland, those who could afford it retreated to fortresses, self-contained communities run by powerful corporations. But for Mari Thistle, life on the outside-in the Red Zone-is a constant struggle. To protect her family, Mari teams up with the mysterious Thorne Goodman. Together, they'll face an evil plot in both the underworld of the Red Zone and the society inside the fortresses that could destroy those on the outside...for good. (Goodreads)

Although I have several books by Ann on my TBR pile, I haven't gotten around to reading any of them yet. After this one, I need to dig them out ASAP, as Ann is an awesome writer! I don't usually like stories like this, but I was pulled in by the characters. Mari is a great main character, struggling to survive any way she can while still providing for her siblings. Thorne is a big harder to pin down, as he works for the bad guy but seems willing to help Mari. Loved both the plot and characters, and hoping that this becomes a series as I'd love to see what happens to these two down the road!

Sun Storm by Karen Duvall

Sarah Daggot has been chasing storms since she was a child. But after the biggest solar flares in history nearly destroy the planet, she becomes a Kinetic, endowed by her exposure to extreme radiation with the power to sense coming storms-in the cosmos and beyond. And she's not the only one. Sarah believes the Kinetics are destined to join forces and halt the final onslaught of the sun. She'll vow to keep trying to convince the one missing link in their chain of defense, the enigmatic Ian Matthews, up until the world ends. (Goodreads)

This was my least favorite of the three, but might be because I'm not a big fan of dystopian fiction. I didn't really connect with either Sarah or Ian, so that was a problem. There was nothing wrong with the writing, it just wasn't my cup of tea.



Overall, I'd recommend this collection as I really enjoyed two of the three stories! And the third story wasn't bad, just not my type of read. Recommended for anyone who likes urban fantasy and dystopia!

ARC provided via Amazon Vine, in exchange for an honest review

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha, Ann is an AMAZING writer for sure! I've loved everything of hers I've read. And I have this one on my shelf, if life would slow down a bit so I can get caught up, I'll pick it up. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here was me thinking the third story sounded the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most interested in that prequel. Thanks for the look inside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking the same at Petty, the synopsis for the third story sounds the best.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u