Review: Evidence of Life | Alexia's Books and Such: Review: Evidence of Life

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Review: Evidence of Life

Evidence of Life by Barbara Taylor Sissel

On the last ordinary day of her life, Abby Bennett feels like the luckiest woman alive. But everyone knows that luck doesn't last forever.… 

As her husband, Nick, and daughter, Lindsey, embark on a weekend camping trip to the Texas Hill Country, Abby looks forward to having some quiet time to herself. She braids Lindsey's hair, reminds Nick to drive safely and kisses them both goodbye.

For a brief moment, Abby thinks she has it all - a perfect marriage, a perfect life - until a devastating storm rips through the region, and her family vanishes without a trace. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts

Something horrible happens to Abby's family; her husband and daughter vanish during a camping trip. Abby receives a tearful phone call from her daughter, then nothing. They are simply gone.

Because of the storm, it's assumed that they were caught in the flood and didn't survive. But Abby is convinced otherwise. Is her family still alive? Why won't anyone believe her? Has someone been in her house while she was gone, or is she imagining things?

While I have no idea how I would react in Abby's place, I wasn't able to connect with her. Couldn't really connect with anyone in the book for that matter. Despite everyone telling Abby she had to move on and accept what had happened, she clung to her belief that her family was out there somewhere. I was never 100% sure if she had any proof or if she was just hallucinating.

The story took a twist that didn't really ring true for me. It may have been due to my expectations of where the story was going, but I wasn't able to lose myself in the plot and go with the flow. With each new revelation, I was left scratching my head. And sad to say that I didn't like the discovery of where her family went, nor did I like the ending.

This wasn't a bad book, just not my cup of tea. I couldn't connect with any of the characters, didn't really like Abby or how her family/friends treated her, and didn't care for the ending. I know others have given it great reviews, but I think it was just an okay read.

Have you read this one? Were you able to connect with Abby or did you find her too helpless and annoying? What did you think of the ending? I'm curious to hear what others thought, as maybe I've just been away from the thriller/mystery genre too long.



11 comments:

  1. I've not read it, but it's not called to me yet either. Thanks for you thoughts on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like I was on a bad date, as I wanted to tell the book "it's not you, it's me" and break up with it. :)

      Delete
  2. This is not a book I've heard of, but based on the synopsis I don't really think it's for me. And what's with the cover with Abby, I assume, peeking through tree branches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know what's up with that cover, as it doesn't seem to fit the story. Think I've gotten used to covers not fitting, as I don't notice them anymore (unless they're really hideous!).

      Delete
  3. Not at all what I was expecting looking at the cover.

    A shame this wasn't to your taste,I'm not sure it appeals to me neither.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Covers can be misleading, which is why I try to ignore them. I remember thinking this was pretty, but looking at it now it doesn't really fit. Wish publishers would be more aware of their covers. :(

      Delete
  4. Hmm...have not read this one but the pitfalls you encountered don't necessarily make me want to run grab a copy either. If a connection isn't made on some level, it can be hard to follow through. Can certainly appreciate the story line though...hard to imagine what you yourself would do in that type of situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the connection that I was missing. Even if I don't like a character, there's still sometimes a connection so I care about what's happening. Not this time though.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you didn't click with this one. Lucky for you there are so many more out there. :-)

    Anna @ Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to have this happen with most thrillers. There just seems to be a disconnect with the style.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u