Saturday, June 15, 2013

My Book Haul (21)

Photobucket

In need of a new way to showcase titles, I decided that My Book Haul seems like a good fit. I like giving books a little special attention as sometimes it can be awhile before I'm able to review them. Sad to say, but some get put on the shelf and gather a little dust before I'm able to give them the love they deserve. I've included links to Goodreads if you want more information on the books.

For Review:

This was a nice surprise in my mailbox, as I already pre-ordered a copy. Love Neil, love surprises, and love the sound of this one!

Neil Gaiman is god

The Ocean At The End of The Lane is a fable that reshapes modern fantasy: moving, terrifying and elegiac - as pure as a dream, as delicate as a butterfly's wing, as dangerous as a knife in the dark, from storytelling genius Neil Gaiman. (Goodreads)

***

I've worked with Meryl L Moss Media Relations on several other blog tours and they're always great to work with, so decided to take a chance on this book. Outside my normal comfort zone of urban fantasy, but Marilyn was a fascinating woman so couldn't resist!

EZ Friedel
Marilyn's Red Diary by E.Z. Friedel

Marilyn's Red Diary is shocking, funny, scandalous and sad but always brutally honest. Marilyn Monroe is caught between intellectual giants - her award-winning playwright husband Arthur Miller and her dashing politician boyfriend Jack. Then along comes Jack's fiery brother Bobby. The world's dream girl relates her intimate adventures with many of the era's who's who. Marilyn's Red Diary is a touching portrait of a hard-working, extremely bright woman, trapped in her own sensuality and, tragically, born far ahead of her time. (Goodreads)

NetGalley:

Jennifer Estep. Need I say more? :)

Jennifer Estep
Midnight Frost by Jennifer Estep

Just when it seems life at Mythos Academy can’t get any more dangerous, the Reapers of Chaos manage to prove me wrong. It was just a typical night at the Library of Antiquities - until a Reaper tried to poison me. The good news is I’m still alive and kicking. The bad news is the Reaper poisoned someone else instead. (Goodreads)


***

This one has been generating quite a bit of buzz and the synopsis sounds intriguing, so thought I'd give it a try. I really shouldn't log in to NetGalley anymore. I know I've said that before, but it keeps sucking me back in!

Dawn Metcalf
Indelible by Dawn Metcalf

Some things are permanent. Indelible. And they cannot be changed back.

Somewhere between reality and myth lies…THE TWIXT (Goodreads)


***

Several bloggers mentioned picking this up at BEA and it sounds fascinating! Sort of like a Reverse Rapture. Looking forward to reading this one!


Jason Mott
The Returned by Jason Mott

With spare, elegant prose and searing emotional depth, award-winning poet Jason Mott explores timeless questions of faith and morality, love and responsibility. A spellbinding and stunning debut, The Returned is an unforgettable story that marks the arrival of an important new voice in contemporary fiction. (Goodreads)




What did you receive this week?


14 comments:

  1. Another great haul. Never having read any Neil Gaiman despite having several of his books on the shelves I think I'd like to give The Ocean At The End of The Lane a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indelible is new to me, but it just has such a pretty cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had that Neil Gaiman book on my to-read list since it was announced. I LOVE Neil Gaiman. Enjoy!

    Here's my Stacking the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  4. Midnight Frost is I think on a lot of bloggers hauls this week. I got it as well as Indelible this week. Come visit me as well.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very excited to start reading Indelible. The Returned sounds interesting! Enjoy all that you got! Thanks for sharing and happy reading.

    Our STS

    MaryAnn
    Chapter by Chapter

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only book I've heard of is Indelible, and that is definitely a book that I want to check out! I believe it's a Harlequin Teen one - they've had some awesome releases recently! I hope you love it! And enjoy all of your books!

    Check out my STS post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you about netgalley. I tell myself no more books because I'm behind, as is, but then a publisher will go & upload a book I've been waiting for and it all flies out the window. Indelible has been on my radar for some time & I was lucky enough to get this book while at BEA. Plus, the author, Dawn, walked around & signed them. She is SUPER nice!

    Happy reading! :)

    Here's my haul

    ReplyDelete
  8. You lucky girl---I am DYING for Oceans at the End of the Lane! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice assortment of books. I got Marilyn's Red Diary too but am still debating reading it. It is so far out of my genre that I am afraid to start it. Come see what I got this week at Inside of a Dog and Ms. Martin Teaches Media. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know I've never read any of Neil's books. I need to solve that one day. :) Hope you love all your new additions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joining you on the excitement about the first title....I got one too! *high five* Can't wait to dive in. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Neil Gaiman books looks and sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. GREAT haul! I want that Neil Gaiman book!

    ReplyDelete