Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Book Review: Gameboard of the Gods

Alexia's Books and Such
Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead

In a futuristic world nearly destroyed by religious extremists, Justin March lives in exile after failing in his job as an investigator of religious groups and supernatural claims. But Justin is given a second chance when Mae Koskinen comes to bring him back to the Republic of United North America (RUNA). Raised in an aristocratic caste, Mae is now a member of the military’s most elite and terrifying tier, a soldier with enhanced reflexes and skills.

Gameboard of the Gods, the first installment of Richelle Mead’s Age of X series, will have all the elements that have made her YA Vampire Academy and Bloodlines series such megasuccesses: sexy, irresistible characters; romantic and mythological intrigue; and relentless action and suspense. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

Richelle Mead is a very talented writer with two series already under her belt, but I think that this might be my new favorite!

This is one of those stories with multiple narrators:  Mae, the no-nonsense Super Soldier; Justin, the disgraced former Servitor who used to investigate religious extremist groups; and Tessa, Justin's protege who he brought back with him in hopes of giving her a better life (while repaying a debt to her father). Multiple narrators can sometimes be confusing, but Mead is talented enough that the story unfolds smoothly.

Had a hard time picking a favorite character, as they're all so interesting! Justin hears the voices of two ravens in his head, who keep him company and try to convince him to follow their god. He is either crazy, or has to come to terms with the thought that religion might not be as fictional as he believes. Mae presents a cold, professional front, but there's more going on than she wants to reveal. And Tessa is a breath of fresh air! A teenager from Panama, she brings an unbiased eye to everyday life in the RUNA and is smarter than expected.

I found the interaction between the characters just as interesting as the mysterious case Justin is brought back to investigate. The RUNA is also a fascinating place, as Tessa helps us to realize that a land without religion still manages to find things to worship.

Really enjoyed this one, and parts of it reminded me of Neil Gaiman's American Gods. I think it was the talk of what happens to the gods when no one believes in them anymore. Mead has come up with a great new series, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next for Justin, Mae, and Tessa!


*ARC received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

20 comments:

  1. I've never read Richelle Mead (don't throw stones!) but this one looks really good and it'll probably be my first as I don't plan on reading the Vampire Academy books anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never throw stones at you! I've only read the first Vampire Academy book, but loved her Succubus books. Georgina Kincaid is something else! Would love to hear what you think if you do decide to read this one, as I think you'll like it!

      Delete
  2. I've never read Richelle's books, but as this is the first book, I thought it would be a good one to try. I wanted to pick it up at BEA, but the line was too long and I had somewhere else to be and couldn't wait. I'll probably just buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it, as Richelle came up with an interesting premise!

      Delete
  3. Hearing lots of things about this book, most of it good I have to say, so thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Richelle really has a winner on her hands with this one!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like I'm sharing the "never read" boat with several folks here but alas, I haven't...yet. Not certain this would be for me though...even though your review seriously tries to tip the scales in its favor. (^_^) Thanks for the share! happy reading...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit that I'm a sucker for anything with the old gods, but it's not to everyone's taste. :)

      Delete
  5. I did enjoy this one but became a bit frustrated when the case was pushed too far in the background. Oh and I so agree with you about Tessa's role. I liked how it brought a different fresh perspective on the world. Need that next book now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I know I need to be patient and wait, but it's hard when you want to know what happens next and you want to know now!

      Delete
  6. I SO can't wait to read this now! Love Mead's series! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you like it as much as I did!

      Delete
  7. Oh wow...this is the first good review I've read for this book. I love the premise but I admit the bad reviews have been making me move it down the TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprised that this is the first good review you've come across, as I haven't seen any negative ones. Have seen a few that were middle of the road, but that's it. Guess I've been lucky, as I really liked this one! :)

      Delete
  8. Its great to hear such good things about it, I wouldn't say she's a favourite author of mine but I have enjoy what I've read
    Lauren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's definitely a talented writer!

      Delete
  9. Looking forward to hearing more about the series. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, as I'm curious to see what happens next!

      Delete
  10. I had a chance to pick this up at BEA and missed it! I think I missed out :)

    If you have time today pop in by, it is my 4 year blogiversary and I am hosting a big giveaway and a fun post :) Would love to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will definitely swing by Sheila! Can't believe we've been around for four years already. Congrats!

      Delete