Book Blogger Confessions: Ever BEA? | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Blogger Confessions: Ever BEA?

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, June 17, 2013

Book Blogger Confessions: Ever BEA?


Book Blogger Confessions is a meme that allows book bloggers to discuss issues unique to what we encounter in the blogging world. Hosted by Karen at For What It's Worth and Pam at Midnyte Reader,  a new question is posted the 1st and 3rd Monday of every month to answer, comment on, and discuss. 


This week's question:

BEA, ALA. Have you ever been before? If you've been before, share your experiences; both pro & con. If you haven't gone before, do you participate in online events like Armchair BEA? Do you hope to go one day? Do you feel too intimidated to go? Are you jealous of the big book hauls and tweets during the events?


I've been fortunate enough to attend BEA three times, but wasn't able to make it this year so participated in Armchair BEA instead. ABEA was fun and I met several new bloggers, but I wasn't able to participate as much as I would have liked.

BEA can be overwhelming, exhausting, crowded, and frustrating, but it's also the absolute BEST time I've ever had! The first day seems to be the craziest, then things settle down for the remainder of the show.

Pros - exposure to upcoming titles, meeting your fellow bloggers, networking with publishers, more totes than you'll know what to do with, and meeting awesome authors! Also, you will have no problems falling asleep at night!

Cons - your feet will be killing you no matter what shoes you wear, not enough time to do everything you want, poor wi-fi, you will hurt all over, and you'll find that impulse control can be challenging when faced with free books.

Was I jealous of all the hauls and tweets during BEA? A little bit, but that was because I had to sit it out this year and felt like I was missing all the fun. I'm a little surprised I haven't seen more BEA posts, as I've had to go searching for them. Seems like my part of the blogosphere didn't have as many people attending as in years past. Part of the reason I keep bugging Tammy over at Bo's Book Nook to post her BEA adventure in detail is so I can live vicariously through her! Ha! 

20 comments:

  1. I wasn't able to go to BEA this year either, but I did do Armchair BEA which was fun too. For me I didn't feel a lot of jealousy over the books people got, I was more jealous that they got to go and have all the fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Felt like I was missing all of the fun! Even though I had fun with ABEA, online just isn't the same as real life.

      Delete
  2. The more I read about this the more I dream about going. Oh well, here's hoping out lottery numbers come good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again I had to live vicariously as well....*sigh* Oh well, there's always next year. ^_^ (oh yeah...and what is this "will power" you speak of when it comes to books? *blink blink*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my mantra now - next year! Book will power is an elusive thing that I've been chasing for years. Some day....

      Delete
  4. I did armchair this year again ..but then I have friends with my lists to find books at BEA. I am not green but my wishlists have gone down over the past 3 years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wishlist just keeps getting bigger and bigger. :(

      Delete
  5. Ah it must be hard to NOT go after going for so many years.

    I had to search for posts too! I thought they would be everywhere, but not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was really surprised, as most years my reader is full of recaps!

      Delete
  6. There has been a lot of negativity about BEA and book hauls the past few years. I wonder if that's why there are less posts afterwards. It seems like no one knows how to act anymore lol

    The tote bags! OMGosh yes! So many tote bags. i only got 4 this year. I was a good girl.

    I don't envy anyones halls from cons. It's expensive to go and such hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got more tote bags than I know what to do with, yet I can never resist picking up new ones! You have great will power if you only picked up four! :)

      Delete
  7. I'd love to go, but trying to get all the days off work and stay that long...well, I don't know if I can. I know many room together, but I think my husband would feel uncomfortable with me doing so with someone I only knew from online. I do want to go one year though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rooms aren't as expensive if you stay in NJ, but then you have the commute every day. I know rooming with online friends has worked out for several people, but I can understand your husband's concerns. I'd be a little nervous too. One day we'll see each other there! :)

      Delete
  8. I bet the jealousy factor would be worse if you'd gone a few times before and suddenly had to skip it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, as I kept remembering all the fun I had in previous years.

      Delete
  9. I haven't been yet, but I plan on going to the one in Chicago in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're talking about Chicago in 2016. I haven't been to Chicago in years, and it's not that far away from my parent's home, so would love to meet you there!

      Delete
  10. I keep meaning to do the Armchair BEA thing and somehow, the timing never works for me. I haven't been to BEA, but I've gone to ALA -- and I'm with you about all the walking being killer on your feet. My first convention, my feet were ready to fall off. Now, I buy gel insoles and choose my shoes carefully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cons of BEA were sooo funny. Feet hurting no matter what shoes you wear (LOL) -- and you're right, I hurt for days. I may be getting too old for BEA!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u