Book Review: Calculated in Death | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Calculated in Death

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Book Review: Calculated in Death

Book Review: Calculated in Death by J.D. Robb. | Alexia's Books and SuchCalculated in Death by J.D. Robb

On Manhattan's Upper East Side a woman lies dead at the bottom of the stairs, stripped of all her valuables. Most cops might call it a mugging gone wrong, but Lieutenant Eve Dallas knows better. (Goodreads)


My Thoughts:

The Eve Dallas books are like comfort food for me, as I can rely on them to provide a good read with no unexpected surprises. I know that there will be an interesting case for Dallas to solve, that her handsome hubby Roarke will help, Peabody will provide some comic relief, and that Dallas and Roarke will have hot sex (but nothing too graphic). To borrow Martha Stewart's catchphrase - It's a good thing.

This story is no different. There's an interesting case involving the murder of a woman who by all accounts had no enemies. Set up to look like a mugging, there are a few small details that the killer missed. Dallas misses nothing. You know she's going to solve the case, but it's always interesting watching her work.

I also enjoyed the side story, where Dallas has to attend the movie premier based on her solving a previous case. Eve does not like going to fancy shindigs, but it's a necessary part of life and I get a kick out of watching her squirm. Especially when it comes to her fear of Trina, the hair/makeup guru!

Gave this one a 4 out of 5, as it was an easy read and I really enjoyed it. J.D. Robb, aka Nora Roberts, is a very talented writer who can create great characters that actually evolve instead of staying in a rut. I love this series!


eBook from my personal library

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps as a one-off I'd give this a look but somehow I couldn't see myself wanting to read the whole series. Still, never say never, its all too easy to become hooked on any series of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I would go back and read the entire series at this point, as there's just so many of them now! I got lucky and started reading them when they first came out, so feel like I've gotten to know Eve and Roarke pretty well now. This series is like comfort food for me! :)

      Delete
  2. I love this series! I'm like 10 books behind though... Sigh. I'll have to pick up the next one on my list soon because I do miss Roarke. Glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u