Book Review: The Time of My Life | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: The Time of My Life

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Book Review: The Time of My Life

The Time of My Life by Cecelia Ahern

Lucy Silchester has received an appointment card. Actually, she's been invited along a few times to this appointment, but she keeps brushing the gold embossed envelope under the shag pile carpet... But Lucy is about to find out that this is one appointment that she can't miss. And she can't escape it either. Her Life is about to catch up with her in the most surreal of ways. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:

This is one of those books where the synopsis grabbed my attention and demanded to be read, as it sounded so unique and original! I've read Cecelia Ahern before and I think she's a very talented writer, but I really should stop reading the Shelf Awareness newsletter since I have little to no willpower when it comes to awesome reads.

We meet Lucy as she's ignoring the third request for an appointment with her life. Apparently, some people receive requests from their Life to get together and sort things out. Can you imagine? I don't know if I'd want to sit down for a meeting with my life, as I'd be afraid she might not approve of my book habit. The horror! 

Have to admit that Lucy did not make a good first impression, as she's a liar. I don't mind if the main character lies, but I don't want them to lie to me. And her Life seemed a bit of a mess too, complete with disheveled suit and bad breath. But the more I got to know them, the more they both grew on me.

Since Lucy keeps ignoring her life, he takes the drastic step of moving in with her and becomes her constant companion. Things get a little awkward with her family and friends, not to mention at work, as he doesn't like it when Lucy lies. For every lie she tells, he reveals a Truth. Great cure for lying!

Ahern makes it seem totally believable that your Life could take the form of a person and meet with you. If your life if a mess, then they are a mess. As life gets better, they get better. This manifestation of life was oddly fascinating!

After a bumpy start, I enjoyed this story and liked getting to know Lucy and her Life! Looking forward to seeing what Ahern comes up with next, as she's a very talented, creative writer!


ARC received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review


5 comments:

  1. Hearing lots of good things about this, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this definitely sounds like a very interesting read. Sadly, I have not yet read the Book of Tomorrows, so perhaps I will keep this on the back burner.
    I don't think for myself that I'd want to have a one on one with my Life. He'd be all "Why the heck did you waste all that money on Star Wars action figures? You could have bought a house with that money!!"
    No wait, that was you.
    Anyway....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if I pass on this book at least I have a new author can check out the rest of her books.

    Thanks for the tip. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still have this one on my to-read list (as well as several of the authors other works...*ahem*), sounds like a winner even with the rough start. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u