Sunday, May 26, 2013

Book Review: Deadly Sting

Deadly Sting by Jennifer Estep

Most people shy away from blood, but for an assassin like me - Gin Blanco, aka the Spider - it’s just part of the job. Still, it would be nice to get a night off, especially when I’m attending the biggest gala event of the summer at Briartop, Ashland’s fanciest art museum. But it’s just not meant to be. (Goodreads)


My Thoughts:

Trouble seems to follow Gin Blanco wherever she goes, whether a simple shopping trip or the latest social event of the season. But she can handle it because, let's face it, she's the Spider!

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I love, love, love this series! Gin is an incredibly talented assassin, but she's not a superhero. While I love kick-ass heroines, I get really tired of them turning into Superwoman, able to take on bad guys with one hand tied behind their backs. If you're in a fight with a dozen bad guys, you should at least have some bruises to show for it! Gin does get hurt during fights, and she knows she's not indestructible. I like that in a heroine!

Gin practically has a target on her back ever since her identity as the Spider was revealed and has to be prepared for anything, but she rarely goes looking for fights. I really like that she hasn't lost her humanity and doesn't take what she does for a living lightly. She still has nightmares about her previous victims and I admire her for that. Who would want a super-assassin without a conscience?

From the simple heist during Gin's shopping trip with foster brother Finn, to the daring robbery during the gala, the plot never lets up! It's well paced and, most importantly, believable. Wish that the other characters had more to do in this one, but due to circumstances beyond her control, Gin is basically on her own.

This is the eighth book in the series, and I highly recommend it for all urban fantasy fans! Or anyone who enjoys a good read, as Gin is awesome! I don't think you need to read them all in order to enjoy this one. While knowing their history adds to the story (especially when it comes to Owen), I think the author explains enough of the backstory to make sense.

Did you read this one? What did you think? And wasn't the ending awesome!?


*eBook from my personal library*


8 comments:

  1. A great review. I'm glad it proved a good read as much as I feel ashamed to admit it the cover does put me off a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to pay attention to covers anymore, as they seem to rarely have anything to do with the story inside. This one does tie in with the story, but I don't like that it made Gin too sexy. She would hate that.

      Delete
  2. I've not gotten this far in the series yet...actually, I've only read the first book. :( I do need to get back to the series. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would really like Gin, so hope you're able to get back to the series soon!

      Delete
  3. I know you're the Jennifer Estep banner girl and all, but I have yet to read any.
    Maybe I'll get to one...some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll read manga if you read Jennifer Estep! Deal?

      Delete
  4. LOL. Yes, you might have mentioned your love of this series. ^_^ So glad it still appeals to you and that the books are still noteworthy. Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer is one of those authors that I get all fan-girly about, no matter what she writes! And she's SO incredibly nice too! Yeah, I tend to gush a bit... *L*

      Delete