Armchair BEA Day Two: Becoming a Better Blogger | Alexia's Books and Such...: Armchair BEA Day Two: Becoming a Better Blogger

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Armchair BEA Day Two: Becoming a Better Blogger


Today was the Book Blogger's Conference in New York City. I've never been, but am looking forward to hearing all about it! Hopefully, things went better than they did last year. 

The purpose of the conference is to foster "blogger development"- and clearly, that development can go in a variety of directions! Today, Armchair BEA is inviting us to talk about our approach. Have you branched out into your community? Do you partner with other bloggers? Have you gone "pro" or tried generating some income through your blog? If you're a long-term blogger, how has your online personality developed over the years?

Tell us about things you've done to expand your blogging horizons, and the things you'd like to do but haven't managed (or figured out) yet. Come back here to link up your post, and then go see what other participants have to say. Let's foster our development as bloggers and learn from each other!

What have you done to get better as a blogger...and what do you want to do?


This is sort of an awkward discussion post for me, because I feel like I've been a bad, bad blogger lately. I burned out a little, lost my reading mojo, and have had several false starts back into the blogosphere. It's a slow climb out of the rut, but I think I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Or it could just be an oncoming train. :s

I don't really have an organized approach to blogging. I always tried to post a minimum of three times a week, and my goal is to get back to that. I don't have advertising on my blog, mainly because I don't like the way it looks (and doubt I'd make any money). Don't think that there's anything wrong with trying to make money, but it's not for me.

Have had a few guest posts, but my blog is a one-woman show. I admire people that are able to make partnerships work, but I'm afraid that it coordinating posts among different people would turn into too much work. And I'd hate to lose friendships by nagging about deadlines.

I'm trying to expand my reading horizons, so guess that counts for blogging as well. I have a list of blog tweaks/goals that I haven't touched in awhile, so need to get back on track with that.

Hoping that taking part in Armchair BEA will reignite some of my old passions and give me some new ideas. I'm also looking forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with, as well as meeting new bloggers!

14 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about losing your mojo. I have really fallen behind on reviews because of work, family, and other commitments lately, and then couldn't resist joining in for Armchair BEA, so I'll be even more behind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this might give me a nice jumpstart into getting back into the rhythm of blogging. Fingers crossed my mojo doesn't desert me again!

      Delete
  2. I haven't exactly lost my mojo per se but life has been so crazy and my blog has suffered because of it. A year ago that would have sent me into a panic, but I'm much more relaxed and I would rather post a little bit of good content then a lot of hastly put together crap!

    I'm with you on advertising! I just don't think I could possibly make enough money to tolerate the fact that I don't like how it looks (just my opinion!)

    I've never considered partnering up with someone on my blog. I am way to OCD for that! The other person would end up hating me!

    Glad you see the light at the end of the tunnel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still working on the relaxing part, but glad to know you've reached a good balance! I think I might be too OCD for a partner as well, as I would totally wind up annoying them! *L*

      Delete
  3. Glad to see you are getting your mojo back, I'm pretty sure that that is a light and not a train at the end of the tunnel.

    Funny you should raise the issue of advertising as I've been inundated with offers of making 'easy money' by accepting ads onto my blog. A tempting offer but somehow not one I think I'll be taking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed it's not a train! ;)

      I've never had offers of advertising, aside from pop-ups from Google. Glad to see you're staying ad-free for now!

      Delete
  4. Breaks can be just the kind of thing to restart your interest and drive in blogging. I've taken a few and made a successful comeback, so I know it can be done. :D Tattooed Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! My reading has picked up, so hopefully the reviewing isn't far behind.

      Delete
  5. Aww, it's good to have you back in any form. My best advice (since I'm a one-woman-show site as well) is to try not to OVER do it (now if I'd only listen to myself!) or make it so that if you skip a day for a breather you're beating yourself up over it. Life goes on, books get read, posts get created. IF I'm not feeling it one day, I can't force a post...it just comes out wrong. Better to observe silence or post something random and fun than push things. Also on the advertising bit, my thoughts exactly. At least, that's my two cents. (Oh, and it's not a train...trust me. ^_^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks G! You make it seem so easy, so I have something to aspire to! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm always up for any advice to get better. Things change all the time, and I want to keep up with it. But, it's hard as well. Life has it's times where it is most important, blogging is a hobby. And I'm glad to see you around once in a while, so take your time, I'd hate to not see you at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! It's hard to remember sometime that blogging is just a hobby, but think that's because I put so much pressure on myself.

      Delete
  7. It's so easy to get overwhelmed when you are running a blog on your own. There's a lot to do and so little time. Glad to hear that you are getting your mojo back. Focus on quality, not quantity.
    AH@Badass Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u