Book Blogger Confessions - Special Edition! | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Blogger Confessions - Special Edition!

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, April 29, 2013

Book Blogger Confessions - Special Edition!


Book Blogger Confessions is a meme that allows book bloggers to discuss issues unique to what we encounter in the blogging world. Hosted by Karen at For What It's Worth and Pam at Midnyte Reader,  a new question is posted the 1st and 3rd Monday of every month to answer, comment on, and discuss. 


This week's question:

Special edition! We have an extra Monday this month and thought we’d address some hot topics in the book blogosphere. Pick one – or answer them all! It’s up to you. If a new crisis hits by then (& it probably will lol) feel free to address that as well.


Amazon buys Goodreads (read the announcement). Do you think this is a good thing for readers – or is Amazon the devil? Will this move effect you? Will you be leaving Goodreads?

I don't think that Amazon is the devil, but I do have concerns about whether or not they'll leave things be or ruin a good thing. I don't blame Goodreads for cashing in, as I know I'd sell out in a minute if someone offered me a boatload of money! I'm not going to close my Goodreads account, but I really hope that Amazon leaves it alone. Going to take a wait and see attitude for now.

The death of Google Reader As Google continues to phase out it’s less popular products, bloggers were scrambling to find a new reader platform to follow their favorite blogs. What have you switched to for a reader?

Just when I finally have my Reader set up the way I like, Google decides to do away with it! Sheesh! I haven't found a replacement yet, but most people seem to have migrated to Bloglovin'. I think I'm in denial, as I haven't even begun looking yet....

14 comments:

  1. I'm not all up on Amazon buying Goodreads. I feel like Amazon is really trying to take over the market and giving readers no choice. But we'll see what they do next.

    I am right there with you on Google Reader! I finally got it set up and had to switch. I'm using Feedly, but other bloggers are asking for links in Bloglovin. I have an account there, but haven't used it yet. I have Feedly pretty much set up now and now I'll have to drop it and try to arrange Bloglovin ...in my spare time. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand why Amazon would want to buy Goodreads, but am keeping my fingers crossed that they don't mess with success!

      I've heard good things about Feedly, but to be honest, haven't looked at any of the options as I'm still in denial!

      Delete
  2. Personally I'm hoping the goodreads amazon thing works out I just hope they don't do major censoring. cause sometimes I use STRONG WORDS you know what I mean? As for bloglovin - ...I'm a total feedly girl. I hate bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I don't like it when Amazon censors your reviews. And am not really thrilled that our reviews "belong" to them once we post it on their site.

      Delete
  3. Amazon has bought a few things and made only minor changes so I'm hoping thats the path they will take with Goodreads. I have no plans to leave Goodreads unless Amazon goes all crazy!

    Google is making a huge mistake getting rid of reader. In general I get the feeling that they are really pushing a lot of people away right now (and not just in the book blogger world).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Unless Amazon goes insane, don't plan on closing my Goodreads account! As for Google Reader, I just can't understand their reasoning. *scratches head*

      Delete
  4. I think the same about Amazon. I definitely don't think it's the devil, but I'm interested in how they'll change it. I'm so glad it's not Facebook though!

    And I so agree. I just started to feel smart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quote: "I'm so glad it's not Facebook though!"
      Me too! I'd be out of the place in a minute :P

      Delete
  5. Still undecided on what I think of Amazon swallowing up GoodReads though I have to say that since LoveFilm was taken over by Amazon ..... well, lets just say the service hasn't improved any.

    As for getting rid of Google Reader. Not a service I ever used but I thought it popular amongst my blogger buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree on Amazon...As for Bloglovin'. I know it's both a reader and a blog network, which G Reader of course wasn't because of GFC taking the role. So, basically, what I'm saying is - if one only wants to keep track of one's blogs the best way, it doesn't have to be Bloglovin', right? Along with Feedly, I read names such as Flipboard, Pulse and Trapit...haven't investigated on them though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm waiting to see what happens with Goodreads too! I'm hoping nothing because I like it just the way it is for now!

    As for Google Reader ... I signed up for both Feedly and Bloglovin'. I think I have permanently accepted Feedly because I like the format on my phone better. Though I do hear that there may be a new version of Google Reader coming through Google+.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just fear that Amazon will use GR for marketing to their site and I don't want that. I want to browse in peace there not have people look over my shoulder.

    I hate what Google is doing with their products. i know they want to shift everything to Google+ but I hate it and would never use it for following blogs. And they can't make me!!! *stomps feet*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I'm with the majority here, not really sure how I feel it will affect things overall but also not a fan of one "person" having all the eggs in their basket. As for Google Reader...*sigh*...I have in fact added BlogLovin', thus far seems to be pretty good. Oh yes, the ever changing world of blogging. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely hate giving up my Google Reader and don't know what to do about it.

    Somebody! Anybody!

    Write a free reader program that we can download and use. Make sure you tell it's out there.

    I added this meme to my meme collection posted at my blog. If you'd like to check out the rest of them drop by. :-)

    Anna from http://emaginette.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u