Book Review: Poison by Bridget Zinn | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Poison by Bridget Zinn

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Book Review: Poison by Bridget Zinn

Poison by Bridget Zinn
Reading level: Ages 12 and up
Hardcover: 288 pages
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Release Date:  March 12, 2013

Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction - which means she’s the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom’s future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend. But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart . . . misses. (book blurb)

My Thoughts:

We first meet Kyra after she's already made her failed assassination attempt, and slowly piece together what happened and why she felt the need to kill her former BFF. I liked how the author plunged us right into the thick of things instead of spelling everything out for us. Love a writer who doesn't thing her readers are idiots!

On the run and trying to find where the princess is hiding, Kyra acquires a few unique travelling companions along the way. I fell in love with Rosie, and would love a tracker pig of my own some day!

While Kyra is a Master Potioner, she is also a teenage girl who is out of her element. I liked that she was naive at times and made mistakes, as I get tired of perfect main characters. She stuck to her guns and did what she thought was right, no matter the obstacles. Really liked Kyra, especially by the end of the book after she grew up a little.

Gave this one a 4/5 as I enjoyed the characters, it had an interesting plot, and was well paced. There were a few spots where things worked out too easily for Kyra, but that didn't take away from my enjoyment of the story. Zinn is a talented writer with a good imagination, and I'm looking forward to seeing what she comes up with next!


Review copy received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

8 comments:

  1. Love that cover. Reading lots of good things about this, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow great review! I'm in love with the cover and the story sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see a review of this one because when I first saw the cover my only thought was...what in the hey is a pig doing on the cover? *-* I know, random focus and all that, but I couldn't see how it made sense...now it does. Thanks for sharing! Sounds like one to put on the old wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading your post, I am looking forward to this. Your post is particular useful, plz keep going. Runescape accounts for sale is also cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one looks good but I keep hearing that it reads more like a middle grade. That worries me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the sounds of this one. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book sounds great. On TBR pile it goes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am almost finished with this book and I am loving it! Great review :)

    Happy to say that I am a new follower!

    Chelsey@Charming Chelsey's

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u