Book Blogger Confessions: Has blogging changed you or your reading habits? | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Blogger Confessions: Has blogging changed you or your reading habits?

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, February 18, 2013

Book Blogger Confessions: Has blogging changed you or your reading habits?


Book Blogger Confessions is a meme that allows book bloggers to discuss issues unique to what we encounter in the blogging world. Hosted by Karen at For What It's Worth and Pam at Midnyte Reader,  a new question is posted the 1st and 3rd Monday of every month to answer, comment on, and discuss. 


This week's question:

How has blogging and reviewing changed your reading habits? Do you read a genre now that you wouldn't have tried prior? Or have you been turned off by a genre you used to love?


Blogging and reviewing have definitely changed my reading habits! Before discovering the blogosphere, I had a hard time finding recommendations for new authors and it was hit or miss for me when buying new books.

I rarely agreed with the "professionals" on what was a must-read, and book-of-the-month clubs didn't work for me either. But now, thanks to my fellow bloggers, I have mountains of books on my TBR pile and another mountain of titles on my wishlist! Who knew that there were so many awesome writers out there, just waiting for me to discover them?

Thanks to blogging, I've fallen in love with YA (a genre I doubt I would have tried on my own). I've read books and tried genres that I know I wouldn't have touched with a 10 foot pole before blogging, so can truthfully say that it has encouraged me to stretch my horizons.

Don't think I've been turned off by any genres. I do sometimes get in a genre-rut and need to take a break every now and again, but I always come back!

Curious to see if blogging has changed anyone else's reading habits or helped them in any way. Have you discovered an author you wouldn't have found on your own? Got turned on to a genre you'd never heard of before? Inquiring minds want to know!


11 comments:

  1. I am exactly the same as you! Before I found blogging I felt like finding a good book to read was like finding a needle in a haystack. I was beginning to give up on reading any more good books. Now I have a towering TBR and I'm glad. I never used to read YA book either and urban fantasy and dystopia weren't my thing at all. I was strictly a fantasy girl. Now I've branched out into almost all genre and loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also was like before blogging Alexia! I would continue to read the tired and true authors and didn't branch out very much. And it was always adult books... blogging really tuned me into YA, and I'm so glad!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think due to blogging I have founs so many more books and authors that I may not have otherwise. I love how I can just visit any blog and find a dozen recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed. I've expanded my tastes as well and picked up books I never would have picked up before. And the recommendations have improved too now!

    Love the post. New follower!

    My Book Blogger Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to find new books through word of mouth or just browsing at the bookstore. Now I get tons of great recs just by following other book bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too feel the same way as you. It's funny how something as seemingly simple as blogging can change your reading habits but it does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to just walk in the book store and browse until something got my attention. I had NO clue who the authors were, I barely understood genres lol

    I kind of miss that in a way but I can't complain about the reading world that blogging has opened up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my I agree. So many more books I've found I would never have found before. :) And I have to say I pay close attention to details. Some days I don't so I know what books to pick up and other days I want more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the same way! The "great reads" that come so highly recommended by professionals I usually find boring. Getting recommendations from bloggers has helped me so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here here! I second most of what you said... But then again I did always sort of read to my own drummer. :) Still, there's definitely been authors I might not have heard of otherwise that I can now count amongst my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  11. After blogging and reviewing, I have changed. I avoid the YA series. I'm left disappointed every time.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u