Short Story Review: Annabel by Lauren Oliver | Alexia's Books and Such: Short Story Review: Annabel by Lauren Oliver

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, January 18, 2013

Short Story Review: Annabel by Lauren Oliver

Annabel by Lauren Oliver

Lena's mother, Annabel, has always been a mystery - a ghost in Lena's past. Until now.

Discover her secrets in Lauren Oliver's brilliant original digital story set in the world of New York Times bestsellers Delirium and Pandemonium. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
Really enjoy Lauren Oliver's books, so was excited to find this short story about Lena's mother, Annabel! It's a quick read at only 55 pages, but well worth it!

Alternating between past and present, we learn how Lena's parents first met and how Annabel escaped prison. We get to learn a little more about Annabel as a person, who has always been a bit rebellious. For instance, I never knew (or don't remember) that she had run away as a teenager. While I would have loved the story to be longer, I appreciated all the tidbits!

The author is incredibly talented and proves that she's able to handle short stories as well as full-length novels. Highly recommend this one for anyone who is reading the Delirium series!


eBook from my personal library

17 comments:

  1. Awesome job...glad to see her talent carries over to the short story world as well! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren Oliver is amazing! Plus, she's one of the sweetest authors I've ever met!

      Delete
  2. This is one of the few series that I actually want to read all of the short stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I have one more to read, then I'll be caught up. Love this series!

      Delete
  3. I just purchased this the other day and plan on getting to it sometime before Requiem (hurry up March!) I think she is an amazing writer, she makes everything sound so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to hear what you think of it! Lauren is amazing!

      Delete
  4. Ugh! I haven't even read the first book in this series. As soon as I do, I'll make a note to read this one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days, we'll talk you into reading this series Jenny! :)

      Delete
  5. About how short is this? I have only read Delirium but haven't read the others in the series, yet. I keep forgetting!

    Allison
    Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty short, about 50 pages or so. It's a nice companion piece to the series!

      Delete
  6. THis sounds great, I haven't had a chance to read the newest in the series, but will keep this in mind too.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're able to pick it up soon, as Lauren is an amazing writer!

      Delete
  7. Great review :D Glad you enjoyed it. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh does this one go with here series then? A side story, I guess. I do need to get to her books. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like a little side story, giving us some background on Lena's mother. Just wish it was longer!

      Delete
  9. I would love to read this one, but don't have an e-reader. Guess I have to see how else I can get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u