Thursday, January 31, 2013

January wrap-up

library-6

It's a brand new year, so thought I'd try some new things on the blog. My theme for the year is Discipline, so hoping that monthly wrap up posts will help keep me on track!

Books read

In order to meet my Goodreads goal of 100 books, I'll need to read 8.33 books per month. The year started off strong, as I read 6 books in the first half of January! Sadly, my momentum petered out and I only managed to read one more, for a total of 7 books. Am behind already, which is never a good sign, but I have 11 months to catch up!

Blog Goals

Managed to cross a few more things off of my perpetual To-Do list! I've caught up with cross-posting my reviews on Goodreads and Amazon! So I don't fall behind again, I've added this to my Google calendar as a monthly task. Am loving my Google calendar, as I finally feel organized!

Finally caught up on my unwritten reviews! Now I'm trying to write my reviews almost immediately after finishing the book. A few times, I managed to start the review as I was reading, because I totally stink at taking notes. I don't know if I'll be able to review every book read, but am giving it the old college try!

Have also worked on my Goodreads shelves, so it's not such a huge catch-all mess. I have a review copy shelf now, so hoping that helps me keep track. Also have a wishlist shelf, but thinking about getting rid of that one because I already have a wishlist on Amazon. I'm not consistent with where I put titles I eventually want to buy, so it can be a little confusing.

Still working on scheduling my posts two weeks in advance, as I only managed to do that once. Now I'm keeping one week ahead, but I think that two weeks gives me more breathing room. Not going to cross this one off my list until I become more consistent.

Commenting

The past few years, I got into the habit of reading posts in my Google Reader and hardly ever actually visited blogs or left comments. I've gotten better at this thanks to the Google Next Button! Even if I don't leave a comment, the blogger still gets the all-important visitor credit. I'm experimenting with visiting different blogger groups on different days, as it takes time to read posts and try to leave a halfway decent comment. :)

Does anyone know of any memes or hops for commenting? I've been doing the Saturday Situation link-up over at Candace's Book Blog, but it doesn't seem to generate much traffic or comments for me. I had a review request declined by a publisher because of my stats, so want to work on getting more traffic and comments this year.

Fun with keyword searches

It's been awhile since I checked my stats, but I started checking them more often after that publisher rejection. Forgot about the funny ways that people find my blog, so thought I'd share some of the more unusual keyword searches:

*parker young shirtless*
*zero escape sigma shirtless*
*alexia behairy*
*hairy alexia*
*hairy italian dominate men shirtless*

Have to admit that these had me scratching my head...but unfortunately, the results weren't that exciting. They all led to archived snapshots of my blog, where it pulled one word out of different posts. For instance, "parker young shirtless" led to a page showing a book review mentioning a character named Parker and one of my BEA posts mentioning a couple of "young, shirtless" guys working at a booth. Now the searches for "alexia behairy" or "hairy alexia", and "hairy italian dominate men shirtless".... well, I have to admit that those are more than a little disturbing.

10 comments:

  1. LOL! Love the keyword searches. It always amazes me how some phrases come my way as well. :D Sounds like a great month. Now into the next with lots to do. :) Here's to February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those keyword searches were scary odd! And I think February will either be awesome or a total train wreck, depending on how the move goes. Hoping I won't get distracted by unpacking my books and forget to actually read something! *L*

      Delete
  2. I didn't know you were writing THAT KIND of blog. Dirty.
    As always you amaze me with your dedication and attention to detail. When I'm not working I feel like Grover all the time. You know when he throws back his head, his mouth hangs open, he shimmies back and forth and just yells? Yeah, that's me. I really hope to get a heck of a lot more organized and I will, once the Christmas decorations are put away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can assure you that I am NOT hairy, Italian, or shirtless! Have no idea what those people were looking for, but found it funny that they wound up on my site. And if you're Grover, then I'm Cookie Monster! cookie! cookie! cookie! *L*

      Delete
  3. That's funny. I need to look up what brings people to my blog. FF brings a lot of traffic through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After these results, I think I'm going to be checking keyword searches a LOT more often! ;)

      Delete
  4. Lol I love looking at keyword searches. I haven't had any funny ones lately but someone did search "gone girl gillian spoiler" :( Spoilers are bad!

    I try really hard to write reviews right after I read a book because I take terrible notes. It's just so hard to stop reading to write something down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear you were able to cross some of your todo's off :) Goodreads organization is something I'm always fighting with haha... mine is always a mess it seems.

    I love your keyword searches... they always make me laugh!

    I hope February is a good month for you as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your progress, its still great! :D I really need to make a to do list like yours and start crossing things off. I'm going to bookmark your page to remind me XD

    Good luck for the rest of the year + thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL!!! Those searches are cracking me up!! I only look at my searches every so often and I am always scratching my head!

    Reading has been going well for me so far this year, but now that my clean-up month is all done, I need to get back into posting regularly. That means, I am already behind on reviews and posts for my site. I really need to get on that this week. I would love to have things scheduled at least one week in advance.

    I love the monthly wrap-up post, by the way!

    ReplyDelete