Book Review: Zombie Generation | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: Zombie Generation

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, January 11, 2013

Book Review: Zombie Generation

by 
Drake Vaughn

Warner is the sole survivor of a deathscape dominated by hordes of the undead. Years of isolation and lack of any human contact has driven him to the brink of insanity. Plagued with vivid hallucinations and shocking nightmares, he scours the deadlands for any signs of life. While discovering a temporary cure for his creeping mental illness, Warner is attacked and infected with the deadly disease. Switching between man and beast, he must decide on risking a desperate cure or attempting a suicidal quest to rescue a group of stranded survivors. Worse, these survivors may only be a figment of his crumbling sanity. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
Due to my schedule, I read this one in bits and pieces and it took me much longer to finish than it would have normally. This may have contributed to my confusion over the ending, which I had to reread. Then I went back and reread the beginning and a few other parts. The reread helped, but the story was still a little confusing. I'm sure there will be several debates about the ending, but I'm still on the fence.

Warner was an interesting character and this was an interesting premise, but I wasn't always sure what was and wasn't real. Warner suffers from hallucinations and, since the story is from his point of view, at times neither one of us is sure what's real.

Not your typical zombie book, this one did have an interesting theory behind what caused a human to turn. The creatures do exhibit some zombie-like behavior, but seem to be a different breed entirely. I'm no zombie expert, but tend to prefer the old-school shambling zombies that you can easily outrun. Without giving anything away, there were a couple of twists during the tale, as well as the ending. 

Gave this one a 3/5 as I liked the story better after my reread. Don't know if it was the slow pace of my original reading or simple holiday distraction, but I did need a reread to understand certain aspects of the story. I did like Warner and sympathized with him, as I have no idea how I would behave if I were the last human around. Think it's worth a read as it's not a typical zombie tale.


eBook received from the author in exchange for an honest review

22 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I'm not sure if I'd like this one. Sometimes feeling slightly confused is okay, but this sounds like more than just slightly confused. Not a typical zombie tale is good though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was different, which is always interesting!

      Delete
  2. I'm not a big zombie fan but this one sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge zombie fan either, but there seem to be more and more different types of zombies lately.

      Delete
  3. I really do love zombie books, and this one sounds different...so that's great. Not that I've read a lot of zombie books yet, but being unique helps you stand out. Bummer about the confusion, but it sounds as if you liked the book overall!

    Lauren from www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, being unique does make a story more memorable!

      Delete
  4. I want to thank you for stopping by my blog and giving me information on blog tours. Also, I am a new follower.

    I have not read any zombie books although I do like a few zombie movies/shows. I think I may add this to my list of possible reads. I am interested to see the author's take on zombies. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! Good luck with the blog tours!

      Delete
  5. I found out a few weeks ago that I'm apparently terrified of zombie stories when I attempted to read a few chapters of This is Not a Test--who knew? I was not expecting for the idea to terrify me so, and the zombies aren't even featured that much, so I think common sense dictates that I won't read this particular book, but the "last human around" plot line does sound intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that zombies terrify you...bummer! I sort of feel the same way about certain horror books, and can't even read the really scary ones!

      Delete
  6. I think I'm suffering zombie burnout, much like the vampire burnout I experienced years ago. I just wish certain plot devices weren't beaten into the ground so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't read enough zombie books to have burnout yet, but then again, I'm not a huge zombie fan.

      Delete
  7. Hmm... I don't really reread a book just so I could understand it. It'll waste my precious time. Especially if that book is not my cup of tea. BUt I'm glad you enjoyed it nevertheless :)

    Great review! :D

    Fara @ Tumbling In Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't reread the entire book, but did go back to certain passages to try and figure some things out. If I had to reread the whole book, think I'd have given up! *L*

      Delete
  8. I'm not a fan of zombies in general, at all, lol! And now there's a whole new breed? eeep! The cover on this is enough to give me thoughts and nightmares. Sounds like a good read for a zombie-expert, but not one that I will be picking up any time soon.
    Thanks for sharing your very honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think you're right and zombie fans might like this one more!

      Delete
  9. I can see how some books have to be read almost straight through and not in pieces. Sometimes I'm a fan of that, and sometimes not. Mostly depends on what else is going on. Still after a reread of parts and it didn't thrill... hm... might pass on this one, but will still keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have the time to read a book straight through, but it doesn't always work that way. Wish life would stop getting in the way of my reading!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for your thoughts on this one. I...I don't know. I'm not one for zombies, much. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really limit my zombie book intake...the whole "BRAINS" bit just doesn't always work for me. As for this one, I'm undecided but I definitely enjoyed hearing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not a huge zombie fan either...the whole eating brains thing is a huge ick for me!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u