Book Review: Two and Twenty Dark Tales | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: Two and Twenty Dark Tales

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, January 4, 2013

Book Review: Two and Twenty Dark Tales


In this anthology, 20 authors explore the dark and hidden meanings behind some of the most beloved Mother Goose nursery rhymes through short story retellings. The dark twists on classic tales range from exploring whether Jack truly fell or if Jill pushed him instead to why Humpty Dumpty, fragile and alone, sat atop so high of a wall. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
Anthologies are one of my favorites, as they're a great way to discover new authors but doesn't require a huge investment in time. If you don't like one of the stories, it's short and you know that the next one will probably be better. All in all, I think they're a win-win!

Something unique about this collection is that its the first in a series of annual charity anthologies from Month9Books, and proceeds from the sale of this book will be donated to YALITCHAT. What a fantastic idea! It's available in both physical and ebook format, so another win-win!

This collection has an unusual premise in that the stories are all retellings of old Mother Goose nursery rhymes. Have to admit that I've never heard of some of the rhymes, so was glad that the original verse was at the beginning of each story. Some worked better than others, and some of the stories had only the slightest resemblance to the original. Think that's always the danger with retellings.

Some of the standouts for me were Clockwork (Hickory dickory dock), Life in a Shoe (The old woman who lived in a shoe), Candlelight (How many miles to Babylon), The Well (Jack and Jill), and A Ribbon of Blue (Bunch of blue ribbons). The rest of the stories were okay, but these are the ones that stuck with me.

Really appreciated that the writing for all of the stories was well done. All of the authors are talented, it's just that not every story was to my taste. It's nice when everything in a collection is balanced, so all in all I think it's definitely worth adding to your collection!


eBook provided by the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review

14 comments:

  1. Glad that you enjoyed short stories usually arent my thing but i have been eyeing this one.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short stories are one of my favorites, and some of these were really impressive! Hope you'll give it a try!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I've been eyeing this one because of the lovely cover. I'm not sure I'll ever get to it though. Short stories and I don't get along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe someday you and short stories will come to a truce? Kidding! I know some people just don't like them, so no worries! ;)

      Delete
  3. Ohhh. Thank you for sharing your review :D It's awesome. This book seems so good. Think I need to get me a copy :) Seems like I would love these short stories, I think ;p Glad you enjoyed them :)
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the stories were really good, so hope you're able to pick up a copy! Plus, it's for a good cause, so it's a win-win!

      Delete
  4. I have this from Netgalley and am very glad to hear that it's mostly good. I love Short Stories and I love the concept of this book! Great review, Alexia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April! Will keep an eye out for your review. Hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Hello,
    I followed your blog and would love it if you followed mine: jodiepierceauthor.blogspot. The book sounds interesting. Also, would you like to be on my blog and I on yours? Please let me know if you're interested.
    Thanks
    Jodie Pierce
    thevampirequeen1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd never heard of a lot of the rhymes either! But I thought it was a pretty good collection, some better than others of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you enjoyed it too! And glad I'm not the only one who wasn't familiar with some of these rhymes!

      Delete
  7. I agree with on Anthologies. Most of the time I like some of the stories, while the rest I just don't seem to care about. Clockwork sounds the most appealing to me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    Also thanks for stopping at http://pinkyjustlisten.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was happy that there were no duds in this collection, just some stuck with me more than others. Thanks for stopping by Kassandra!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u