Book Review: Revision 7: DNA | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Revision 7: DNA

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Book Review: Revision 7: DNA

by
Terry Persun

Time traveling robots, a walking medical experiment turned detective genius, and a kidnapped psychic combine in a story that will tear at your heart and get your adrenaline pumping. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
Usually, I enjoy it when the author trusts us enough to throw us in the deep end of the pool and let us figure things out for ourselves. Not this time.

The first three chapters left me scratching my head, as they were three different POVs and plots. Started to get in the swing of things over the next few chapters, but the back and forth between stories did give me a little whiplash!

There are two main storylines: one with Dr. Smedley Klein and his robot Fenny, and the other with Neil investigating the theft of a secret government project. 

Of the two stories, I enjoyed the one with the doctor and his illegal upgrades on Fenny a little more. Fenny had his own personality and was starting to think for himself, which made him a little harder to control. Got a kick out of the doctor reading the book Raising the Difficult Child! And Fenny would read while the doctor slept at night. How could you not love a robot that read fiction and studied philosophy?

Neil was an interesting character too. His parents had severed the two halves of his brain when he was a baby, so he was incredibly intelligent and could use both sides of his brain independently. He was sort of robot-like at times, but his wife kept him human.

Think that this one was a little too science fictiony for my tastes, and had a little too much detail for me. I tend to get a little bored if too much information is thrown at me, but did like the idea of someone logical like Nick being married to a psychic. I think science fiction fans would enjoy this one more than urban fantasy fans like me.


Review copy courtesy of Booktrope, in exchange for an honest review

23 comments:

  1. Alas this doesn't sound like one I'd enjoy either. Oh well, some you win, some you lose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! It sounded interesting and it was, just too much science and not enough fiction for me. :)

      Delete
  2. This isn't really my kind of book, but I do love with your thrown into the deep end of a book. I'm just sorry in this case that it didn't work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love an author that assumes you're smart enough to figure things out on your own! But the different POVs were a little confusing at first, so maybe chapter headers would have helped avoid the whiplash. *L*

      Delete
  3. Alexia, thanks for the review. You're right, Rev 7 is for the science fiction crowd more than the fantasy (urban or not) crowd. I have an undergraduate in engineering and enjoy making sure the details are accurate. I think engineers would enjoy this more. It's always great to get another opinion. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention that, as I thought my engineer father would enjoy this one because of all the science!

      Delete
  4. I wonder if my husband would enjoy this book. I read so little science fiction that I think I might have a similar reaction as you to it. My husband is much more technical and familiar with the genre though. I'll have to mention it to him and see what he thinks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big sci fi reader either and felt a little like Penny (Big Band Theory) a few times when it got technical! *L*

      Delete
  5. Hmmm, I'm not a huge sci-fi fan either and throwing someone into a story has to be done just right. I think I'll skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it when authors trust us, this one was just too deep a pool for me this time.

      Delete
  6. Not a scifi fan myself, with a few exceptions, they don't hold my interest for long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your honest review :) I do like the cover. Kind of. Maybe. But yeah. This book isn't for me. Thank you for sharing :D
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry this one didn't work for you... I don't like it when things aren't well explained.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think it was actually too well explained for my tastes, as it got very techie at times.

      Delete
  9. Sorry it didn't work with this one. Good try though? ;) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to try different genres every now and again though, isn't it?

      Delete
  10. Love your border picture. Looks so restful.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharing the boat with you on this one...doubtful its for me either. Good job on sticking with it though!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u