Monday, January 28, 2013

Book Review: The Different Girl

The Different Girl by Gordon Dahlquist

Publisher:  Dutton Juvenile

Rating:  4/5

Expected publication: February 21, 2013

Four nearly identical girls on a desert island. An unexpected new arrival. A gently warped near future where nothing is quite as it seems. 

Sly and unsettling, Gordon Dahlquist’s timeless and evocative storytelling blurs the lines between contemporary and sci-fi with a story that is sure to linger in readers’ minds long after the final page has been turned. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts

This is a hard review for me to write, because I was left with so many questions after finishing the book. Who exactly were the girls? Who were Irene and Robbert? Why were they on the island? Who sent the supplies every month?

The book blurb was right, as the story did linger in my mind after finishing. While I was satisfied overall, I was left with an awful lot of questions. I know that there's sort of an explanation in the story, but I was hungry for more details.

As for the story itself, we have four almost identical girls on an island with their two adult guardians/teachers. Veronika, the redhead, is the narrator of the story. I really liked her, as she seemed to be coming into her own and showed flashes of spunk. While a good girl overall, every now and again she would stretch her wings and think for herself. This sometimes thrilled, but sometimes annoyed her teachers.

We aren't sure exactly who/what the girls are at first, but the author weaves clues throughout the narrative. I really enjoy it when an author doesn't spoon feed us information, but lets us discover things ourselves!

Their perfect little paradise is disrupted after another girl is washed up on the island. May is different than the four girls, and her arrival is the beginning of a whole new chapter in their lives.

Overall, I really enjoyed this story! The author is a talented writer who created an interesting new world. I'm hoping that there will be a sequel, as I'd love to learn more about this world and find out what happens to the characters. I really liked Veronika, and even May grew on me by the end of the book!


ARC received from the publisher at NYCC 2012

8 comments:

  1. Oooo! This one sounds interesting. I would love to read a book that makes me think and figure things out. I'm tired of things being obvious and spelled out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Sometimes I get tired of authors spelling everything out for us, yet at the same time, I don't want to be left wondering what the heck happened??? It's a fine line. *nods wisely* ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, from the sound of it a sequel would almost be required to get any sort of closure! Great share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed it, the fact that you are hoping for a sequel speaks volumes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this premise, and glad you enjoyed.
    Hope you get to read it soon!
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, sounds good. And to not be handed the details is always great as a reader. Thanks for sharing this one as it's completely new to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got this one at ALA and hadn't heard anything about it before so I wasn't sure what to expect. But that description got me REALLY curious! I'm concerned about the answers not all being there. If it ends up being a series then that's okay. But if not I might not feel very satisfied. I'm glad you really enjoyed it cause now I'm much more excited to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the look of this book, I haven't heard of it before. Thanks for showing it to me!

    ReplyDelete