Book Review: Croak | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Croak

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, January 14, 2013

Book Review: Croak

Book Review: Croak
Croak by Gina Damico

Fed up with her wild behavior, sixteen-year-old Lex's parents ship her off to upstate New York to live with her Uncle Mort for the summer, hoping that a few months of dirty farm work will whip her back into shape.

But Uncle Mort's true occupation is much dirtier than shoveling manure. He's a Grim Reaper. And he's going to teach Lex the family business. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
Lex is an angry young woman, but doesn't know why. She changed from good girl to raging delinquent and is out of control. Turns out that she is a grim reaper and her destiny is to help collect souls at the time of death. Sent to spend the summer with her uncle (who she's pretty sure is crazy), Lex is partnered with the obnoxious Driggs and has to learn fast!

Lex does learn fast, and quickly becomes one of the best reapers in the junior program. And for the first time ever, Lex is popular. She loves what she does and all of her new friends, but the one downside is that she can't tell her family anything about her new job. It really hurts that she can't tell her twin sister, so she takes the easy way out and doesn't answer any of her sister's emails.

Then Lex and Driggs notice a strange death that can't be explained. Someone seems to be killing people who aren't meant to die. The other junior reapers confirm the odd deaths, and they try to figure out how and why this is happening.

Really enjoyed this one! I liked Lex and how she found herself enjoying her new life. Didn't understand why she was so out of control at first, but it turns out that all reapers are like that until they're brought into the fold. Even enjoyed the mystery, and I don't usually like mysteries. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series, as the author has come up with a great new series with great characters!


Book from my personal library






22 comments:

  1. Ah I've had my eye on this one for a while now, I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're able to read it soon, as I loved it!

      Delete
  2. I've heard of this one, but haven't picked it up. Hm... might have to see if the library has this one and try it. Something fun about reapers... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really like the whole reaper mythology in this one! Plus, Don't Fear The Reaper kept playing on a loop in my head while I was reading... *L*

      Delete
  3. I totally want to read this, it sounds so good, and I love that cover. Though it is a bit creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scythe is kind of creepy, but I like the look on her face! Totally looks like she's up to something!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to hear you liked this one cause I've bought it. I want to get to it but I was worried I wasn't going to like it. You've eased my fears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to hearing what you think of this one Jenny! I wanted to read the sequel right after I finished, but it's still in storage so I have to be patient. I miss the rest of my books. Will be SO glad when we're all moved in!

      Delete
  5. Glad you enjoyed this one. Sounds like a fun read. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series is fun, so hope you give it a read!

      Delete
  6. Sounds cute. Is this YA or just urban fantasy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure it's YA, as the recommended reading age is 12+.

      Delete
  7. This one looks really funny and I'm glad the mystery held up for you. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series!

      Delete
  8. Oh I love the idea of having an uncle who is a grim reaper. Great review, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think you might like this one PW! The uncle was something else, and sounded a lot more fun than my uncles! *L*

      Delete
  9. Ohh! So glad you loved this book :D I have a signed copy of it. Hoping to read it soon. Looks so good :) Thank you for sharing. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to hearing what you think of this one! Thanks for stopping by Carina!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! So glad you enjoyed this one as it's already on my wish list. ^_^ A good rec from a trusted bloggy friends goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! :) Looking forward to hearing what you think of this one!

      Delete
  12. I've been wanting to check this series out for so long. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I love reaper stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't say that I've read very many reaper stories, but have loved the few I've come across!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u