My Book Haul (11) | Alexia's Books and Such: My Book Haul (11)
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. ~Douglas Adams

Saturday, December 8, 2012

My Book Haul (11)

Photobucket

I was in need of a new way to showcase titles, and finally decided that My Book Haul seems like a good fit. I like giving books a little special attention as sometimes it can be awhile before I'm able to review them. Sad to say, but some get put on the shelf and gather a little dust before I'm able to give them the love they deserve. I've included links to Goodreads if you want more information on the books.

For Review:

I try to stay away from the temptation that is NetGalley, but I was curious to see the new titles available. This one sounded interesting and I put in a request without noticing that it was a Disney book. They don't usually approve bloggers, so I was very excited when my request was approved!

Poison by Bridget Zinn

Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction - which means she’s the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom’s future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend. But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart . . . misses. (Goodreads)

***

Another NetGalley title. See why I don't go on very often?  I see too many titles I can't resist! And I was only on for a couple of minutes!


In this anthology, 20 authors explore the dark and hidden meanings behind some of the most beloved Mother Goose nursery rhymes through short story retellings. The dark twists on classic tales range from exploring whether Jack truly fell or if Jill pushed him instead to why Humpty Dumpty, fragile and alone, sat atop so high of a wall. The authors include Nina Berry, Sarwat Chadda, Leigh Fallon, Gretchen McNeil, and Suzanne Young. (Goodreads) 

***
As a former call center gal, I really enjoyed Lisa's first book "Confessions of a Gal Center Gal" and was happy to get the opportunity to review her latest!  

She's the Boss by Lisa Lim

The Devil Wears Prada meets The Office. Twenty-something Karsynn is now a boss but she's not so much The Devil Wears Prada as she is The Angel Wears Payless. With a brighter career, things should be going better for Karsynn, right? Wrong. (Goodreads)


What did you receive this week? Leave me a link and I'll swing by to check it out!


29 comments:

  1. Poison looks awesome. I keep trying for Disney Books, but don't always get approved. So happy for you that you got approved.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg I'm so jealous you got approved for Poison! It sounds amazing and I want to read it so bad. Hope you enjoy it, and I'm looking forward to your review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richa! Was one of those titles that I just couldn't resist!

      Delete
  3. Oh that's awesome that you got approved! I never get approved for the Disney ones, lol. I love the cover for Poison!

    I should check out the call centre book, sounds awesome... I used to work in a call centre too !!

    Thanks for stopping in to my haul again Alexia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fist bump to a fellow call center veteran! The book was one of those laugh out loud stories, so hope you give it a shot!

      Delete
  4. Two and Twenty Dark Tales was good! I loved it! AND YOU GOT POISON! That's on my to read list for next year. I hope you enjoy it.

    Thanks for stopping by my StS post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poison looks really cool! I've got Two and Twenty Dark Tales waiting for me on my ereader, too, it sounds fab :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a sucker for short stories, so have high hopes for Two and Twenty Dark Tales!

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard of these books before, but they look great! Enjoy reading them!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really, really want to read the Two and Twenty Dark Tales. Great books this week! Enjoy. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love all of the old treasures you found in Istanbul! I'd love to go back some day, as it's a beautiful city!

      Delete
  8. Poison sounds awesome! Hope you enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika! I have high hopes for Poison!

      Delete
  9. I've been eyeing Poison for a while now, I hope it'll be worth the hype! That cover is gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith-Pamela! Glad to see you around the blogosphere again! Fingers crossed that Poison lives up to the hype!

      Delete
  10. The cover of Poison is so pretty and even better in person! I hope you enjoy it.

    Thanks for stopping by!
    :) Aeicha
    Word Spelunking

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two and Twenty Dark Tales sounds amazing - cannot wait to read it too! Great books, enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by BG! Have a great week!

      Delete
  12. I really want Two and Twenty Dark Tales..... Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poison looks good (although the cover reminds me of some posters for Snow White and the Huntsman)! Two and Twenty Dark Tales looks good, too...although the cover is giving me some creepy vibes. Thanks for stopping by, and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poison sounds like an interesting read and I enjoyed Two and Twenty Dark Tales.
    Enjoy your reads and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh you are SO much more daring than me! I love NetGalley, don't get me wrong and started out with them in my reading journey but now with my stacks aplenty and the endless smorgashborg they offer, I have to stay away as much as possible. *-* Dangerous for avid readers. (^_^) Still...loving the picks you have featured...darn you, tempting me to visit them again....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Poison caught my eye. Sounds like a few good ones to add. Hope you enjoy them when you get to them. :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Two and Twenty Dark Tales sounds soo good! Really ominous as well, but that's the way I like it. Poison sounds great too! :) Love the picture of the cat too, really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. lucky you! poison looks really fun. and yes disney is so picky that i usually just wait for their books to come out so i don't feel bad about being rejected. haha. hope you like it.

    thuy @ read now sleep later

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u