Thursday, December 6, 2012

Book Review: Trapped by Kevin Hearne

Trapped by Kevin Hearne

After twelve years of secret training, Atticus O’Sullivan is finally ready to bind apprentice, Granuaile, to the earth and double the number of Druids in the world. But on the eve of the ritual, the world that thought he was dead abruptly discovers that he’s still alive, and they would much rather he return to the grave.

Having no other choice, Atticus, his trusted Irish wolfhound, Oberon, and Granuaile travel to the base of Mount Olympus, where the Roman god Bacchus is anxious to take his sworn revenge - but he’ll have to get in line behind an ancient vampire, a band of dark elves, and an old god of mischief, who all seem to have KILL THE DRUID at the top of their to-do lists. (Goodreads)


Favorite Quotes:

This is awesome! If I wasn't already involved, I would totally want a bag of popcorn right now. ~Oberon

Am. Uh. I mean. Granuaile. That's me. Oh, gods! Hi. So handsome. You, and. Wow. Sorry! Can't breath. ~Granuaile, upon meeting Nathan Fillion at Comic Con 

A squee welled up in my throat because I felt cool again - impossibly, inhumanly cool, like Laurence F*cking Fishburne - but I suppressed it savagely: if I squeed out loud, all the cool would be gone. ~Atticus

Lie down and offer your throat. No, wait, that's how dogs submit. I know! Give her your wallet! ~Oberon


My Thoughts:
As much as I love Atticus, my heart truly belongs to Oberon. How could you not love a bacon-loving, movie obsessed, smart aleck hound with an attitude? The visual image of him rolling on the ground laughing at Granuaile's first Druid adventure is priceless! Love that dog!

As for the story, it's a great addition to the series! Atticus and Granuaile have finally finished their 12 years of training and are searching for a proper place to bind Gran to the Earth and make her a full-fledged Druid. Unfortunately, they keep getting interrupted. At first Atticus thinks he is simply being paranoid, but then discovers that it's not paranoia if everyone really is out to get you! And they are! In droves! Poor Atticus.

Kevin just keeps getting better and better as a writer. Gave this one a 5/5 as I just couldn't put it down, then went back and reread favorite parts! Needless to say, it was a long night.

I'd recommend reading these books in order, just because the journey is so much fun! The writing is amazing, characters are awesome (I want to adopt Oberon!), the plots are all well-paced, and I can do nothing but gush about this series! If you haven't read them yet, what are you waiting for???

eBook from my personal library

11 comments:

  1. Great review, if nothing else I love the thought of the Irish wolfhound

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oberon makes me want to adopt an Irish wolfhound, but then I'd probably be disappointed if he couldn't talk to me. *L*

      Delete
  2. Well now THAT's a description and a half. Oberon sounds like an interesting character indeed! So glad you enjoyed it my friend. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm for the series. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do tend to gush about this series, don't I? :D

      Delete
  3. I don't know what I'm waiting for! Argh! Soon, I swear, I really do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny! You're missing out on the awesomeness that is Oberon! Plus, Atticus is kinda hot! ;)

      Delete
  4. I'm still only on the 3rd book in this series. I've enjoyed them so far but I felt a bit sad after the ending of the 3rd after my favorite character died. I adore Oberon too. He's my other favorite character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying them! Have to admit that I'm a sucker for smart alecks!

      Delete
  5. Maybe one day I will get to this series. I just have to talk myself into reading YA again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodness I need more time!!!! LOL! I have the first two or three books of this series here, and so want to get to it. :D SO glad you are loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have yet to read this series! I have no clue what I am waiting for. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete