Saturday, December 22, 2012

Book Review: Crimson Frost by Jennifer Estep

by 
Jennifer Estep

For a moment, a face flashed before my eyes - the most hideous face I’d ever seen. No matter how hard I tried to forget what had happened, I saw him everywhere I went. It was Loki - the evil god that I’d helped set free against my will. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
It's no secret that I'm a huge Jennifer Estep fan! Love all of her books, and am incredibly impressed that she's able to write urban fantasy (the Elemental Assassin series), funny paranormal romance (the Bigtime series), as well as her YA Mythos Academy series. And they're all awesome! So when I saw this one on NetGalley, well, it was a no-brainer. Had to request it ASAP! There may or may not have been some squee-ing involved when I was approved, but that's between me and my nook....

We start off with Gwen and Logan at a coffee shop, on their first official date. Those two have been through so much together that it was a little surprising to realize that this was actually their first "real" date. Naturally, Gwen being Gwen, things don't run smoothly and poor Logan winds up with a lap full of coffee! Then things really start to go downhill from there.

Gwen is arrested by The Protectorate, charged with aiding the Reapers. The Protectorate are sort of like the police force of the magical world, and Head Protectorate just happens to be Logan's father. Who is not happy with his son's choice of girlfriend. Poor Gwen just can't catch a break!

Didn't really like how The Protectorate were so ready to throw Gwen under the bus and believe the awful charges against her. Can't help thinking that Logan's dad had something to do with that, as he was already prejudiced against the entire Frost family. And the entire student body didn't have Gwen's back the way I had hoped they would. I mean honestly, how many times does this girl have to prove herself?

Lots of action in this one, and Gwen is literally fighting for her life as well as her friends! The Reapers are not messing around and make really nasty bad guys! Love that Gwen is able to think on her feet and is growing into her powers. Even with the disadvantage of not growing up in the magical world, Gwen continues to prove her worth as Nike's Champion.

I'd recommend reading this series in order, as Gwen does evolve in each one. I also love watching her relationships with her friends blossom and grow. That's one of the things I love about Jennifer's books - the strong friendships. Nice that no one has to save the world by themselves.  

Mythos Academy Series
Prequel novella - First Frost
Book 1 - Touch of Frost
Book 2 - Kiss of Frost
Book 3 - Dark Frost
Book 4 - Crimson Frost

eARC received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Loki is pretty fearsome, so no wonder Gwen was traumatized!

      Delete
  2. Reapers, you've gotta love 'em. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're sneaky devils, aren't they? :)

      Delete
  3. I really do need to start reading this series. I love that Gwen is a strong heroine who can hold her own and think for herself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you give one of Jennifer's series a chance, as she's an awesome writer!

      Delete
  4. On no! Another release in this series? *ugh* Well, I suppose that's gonna have to go on the old "to read list" with the rest of it. LOL! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days you'll finally read this series, and will absolutely love it!!! :)

      Delete
  5. Stopping by to wish you and yours all the very best, Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PW! Hope you and Husband dearest had a great holiday too!

      Delete