Book Review: Wilde's Fire by Krystal Wade | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: Wilde's Fire by Krystal Wade

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, November 23, 2012

Book Review: Wilde's Fire by Krystal Wade

Wilde's Fire by Krystal Wade

Katriona Wilde has never wondered what it would feel like to have everything she’s ever known and loved ripped away, but she is about to find out. When she inadvertently leads her sister and best friend through a portal into a world she’s dreamed of for six years, she finds herself faced with more than just the frightening creatures in front of her. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
While this one started off a little slow for me, it soon picked up and I couldn't wait to see what happened next! 

Kate sounds like an ordinary girl, living an ordinary life, with no hint of what's to come. The only thing unusual about Kate is that she's been having horrible nightmares for years now, always about losing the love of her life in some horrible way.

That changes on a camping trip with her sister and best friend. Following a strange light (that reminded me a little of a will o' the wisp), she discovers an underwater cave in her favorite swimming spot. Why she is so anxious to explore it is beyond me. Has she never read any fairy tales at all? You never follow a strange light! That's almost as bad as checking on a strange noise in the basement when you're all alone in the house! *shakes head*

Anyway, Kate and company discover that the cave the light lead her to is actually a portal into another world! Brutally attacked after arriving, Kate soon finds herself face to face with the man from her dreams!

She does an admirable job of adapting to this new world, but I couldn't understand why Kate's mother didn't prepare her for her foretold destiny, or at least teach her anything useful. Why she would keep her daughter in the dark is more than puzzling, and this omission really bothered me. I can usually ignore plot holes or inconsistencies if the story draws me in, but couldn't get past her mother's huge dereliction of duty! I still enjoyed the story, but was very annoyed with Mom....

All in all, I think this is a good start to an exciting new series and am looking forward to seeing what happens next! 






11 comments:

  1. Yes, why do they always follow that strange light, check out that strange noise, go back to check the bad guy really is dead?

    Glad you enjoyed this after its slow start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Drives me crazy when they do that, but I'd probably do the same thing...and be dead meat! :o

      Delete
  2. Well, this one sounds really good but I'm a little worried about the whole mom not telling her stuff. I really hate when that's how the author creates mystery. There has to be a better reason for that, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Thinking Mom has her reasons but we just haven't found out yet. At least I hope she has a good reason, as it's going to drive me nuts otherwise!

      Delete
  3. Well, I think it sounds interesting enough. I'm okay with a slow start as long as the book picks up and holds my interest. Look at The Hobbit. The first 30 pages have always been grueling to me every time I've read it, but once I get past those beginning pages I can't put it down. Not so discouraging to me. I might have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still haven't read any of the LOTR books, but they're on my to-do list! Good to know The Hobbit starts off so slow, so I won't give up. Legolas....*sigh*

      Delete
  4. This sounds pretty good, though I'm totally with you on your advice. Don't follow the light, It's never gonna turn out good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think we'd all know better by now, wouldn't you? All those horror movies we watch as kids should have taught us this at least!

      Delete
  5. Ooh, sounds good! The title gave me a little pause though because there's another book similarly titled written by a "Knight"...small world. ^_^ Agreed on the "following strange lightz" and checking out the weird noise by yourself....might as well run upstairs to hide from the masked intruder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd hope I'd be smart enough to run in the other direction, but I'd probably do the same thing....

      Delete
  6. I'm with you. I can ignore plot holes as long as I'm into the book, but I hate a parent I want yell at.. I do like that cover, and it still sounds interesting. Hm... might have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u