Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Book Review: Edge of Oblivion

Edge of Oblivion (Night Prowler, #2)
Edge of Oblivion by J.T. Geissinger

In a dark underground cell, Morgan Montgomery waits to die. A member of the Ikati, an ancient tribe of shape-shifters, Morgan stands convicted of treason. And Ikati law clearly spells out her fate: death to all who dare betray. But there is a glimmer of hope. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
We first meet Morgan in the dungeon, on the day of her execution. We learn that she did something horrible, is considered a traitor, and has been condemned to death. Why, I'm not sure. This is the second book in the series, and I admit that I was a little lost at times.

Things pick up after the Queen offers her a chance at redemption. Sent to Rome to discover and infiltrate the clan's sworn enemy, Morgan has a two week reprieve. The catch is that she's accompanied by the Ikati's most feared enforcer, Xander. If Morgan fails, it's Xander's job to carry out her death sentence.

Naturally, they are both smoking hot and sparks start flying almost immediately!

Really liked Morgan, as she's a strong, intelligent woman who isn't afraid to fight for what she wants. I have a weakness for this type of heroine, and she didn't disappoint! She has an awesome gift of the power of suggestion, but I didn't get the feeling that she abused her power. Maybe she did and I just didn't notice, but I found myself really liking her!

There is an awful lot going on in this book! We have the main story with Morgan and Xander, but there's also Xander's Syndicate brothers, the Brotherhood of the Bellatorum, a burgeoning romance between two secondary characters, an unexpected enemy, and Morgan's search for the Expurgari. While this story is action packed and bounces back and forth between all of the different sub-plots, it wasn't hard to follow and most of them were really interesting!

Have to admit that it took me a few chapters to get used to the author's style, as she is very descriptive. I'm not a huge fan of overly descriptive prose, but I got used to her style and it didn't distract from the rest of the story. Think it's just a matter of preference, as I know several readers really like this style. Me? Not so much.

Overall, this was a good read and the epilogue set things up nicely for the next book. I'd recommend reading Shadow's Edge, the first book in the series, before this just so there's no confusion. Will definitely keep an eye out for the next book, as I'm curious to see what happens next!


ARC received from Wunderkind PR in exchange for an honest review

6 comments:

  1. Good thing the synopsis explains the cover because otherwise I was like....what in the world?!? Curious though...it being the second book in the series, wouldn't her crime be exposed by now? Don't know. I do believe I might have to skip this one. Oh well...one less on the wish list won't hurt it.... ^_^ Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is interesting, isn't it? I guess her big crime was explained in book one, but I am impatient and didn't read it. Oops! I really liked that this one was action packed and still easy to follow, but I'm still curious what Morgan's crime was...

      Delete
  2. Sounds like this took a little getting used to. Probably too dark for my tastes, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did take a little time to get used to her style, but then I got into the story and it didn't bother me anymore!

      Delete
  3. This one looks really interesting! It does seem odd though, that even if her big crime was already revealed in the first book that it wouldn't be mentioned at all in the second. I wonder...
    It does make me curious though! Sounds like a good fantasy---I do like shape-shifter stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was able to piece most of it together, but would have been nice to know the full charges.

      Delete