Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Book Review: Foretold anthology


Foretold anthology

Have you ever been tempted to look into the future? To challenge predictions? To question fate? It's human nature to wonder about life's twists and turns. But is the future already written - or do you have the power to alter it?

From fantastical prophecies to predictions of how the future will transpire, Foretold is a collection of stories about our universal fascination with life's unknowns and of what is yet to come as interpreted by 14 of young adult fiction's brightest stars. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
This is one of those books that made me fall off my book buying ban again, as how could I be expected to resist such an incredible collection of authors? That being said, I found this a mixed bag, as some of the stories did not live up to my high expectations.

Short stories are not easy to write, as you have to pack a lot of punch into a limited amount of words. We already know that these authors are talented writers, but some of the stories work better than others.

My biggest complaint is that several of the stories didn't seem to fit the theme of this anthology. I was expecting more stories about seers, oracles, fortune tellers, psychics, etc.

Here's a quick recap of my impressions:
 
Malinda Lo -
Had mixed feelings about this one. It's sort of a tale of a self-fulfilling prophecy, but with a twist. Different enough that I liked it, despite a few cliches.
Lisa McMann  -
This was one I didn't really care for. Didn't really "get" it or enjoy the story. Next!
Kami Garcia -
This one had it's good points, and I liked that it was told from the point of view of a fortune-telling grifter. Big John was a little confusing, but overall I enjoyed it.
Margaret Stohl -
Didn't really care for this one and it just didn't work for me.
Laini Taylor -
This was one of the better entries, as I really enjoyed the mythology she wove involving dreamcakes and the phantom of your future husband.
Michael Grant -
This story was a little silly. And I don't really see the tie-in with the theme of the anthology.
Saundra Mitchell -
Really enjoyed this one! From the mythology created to the characters to the plot. Very well done!
Richelle Mead -
A Rose and Dimitri short story. Fans will not be disappointed! 
Matt de la Pena  -
Didn't really care for this story. Another self-fulfilling prophecy, but I can't see a 16 year old girl being that paranoid to begin with...
Meg Cabot -
Liked the twist in this one! Add it to the plus column!
Heather Brewer -
Not really sure about this one. Don't really understand what the town of Misery is, but I have my suspicions. And it's a tenuous tie-in for the theme, but a well-done story!
Diana Peterfreund -
Another really good entry! This one is about a cult preparing for their ascention into Heaven, and the aftermath when things don't turn out as planned.
Simone Elkeles -
I enjoyed the story, but don't think it fit into this anthology.
Carrie Ryan -
I enjoyed the story and liked the world Carrie created, but again, I don't see how it fits the theme.

Gave this collection a 3/5 rating as I liked it, but didn't think it lived up to the theme. I'd recommend borrowing it from the library instead of buying, as it was expensive for an eBook.

13 comments:

  1. This sounds like it was a real hit and miss affair for you. As you know I'm not personally a fan of the anthology as no matter how well written, being the greedy person I am, I'm nearly always left wanting more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a greedy reader too, but think of anthologies as appetizers to try before the main course. They're small bites, so no biggie if I don't like them. ;)

      Delete
  2. Yeah...I LOVE the cover and the theme sounds good but I have to watch myself with anthologies because the "hit and miss" is a frequent experience. Glad to know some worked though! Happier reading next time around...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think part of it was my expectations, but I still love anthologies!

      Delete
  3. I'm not huge into anthologies for the very reason you've mentioned. Short stories are difficult to write and when you go into a book expecting it to fit a certain theme and it doesn't it's hard not to be disappointed. Though on the other hand you could find some gems as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find enough gems that I think they're worth it!

      Delete
  4. Can't say I'm surprised that the Meg Cabot one was good. I love her books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to read more of Meg, as everyone I know seems to love her!

      Delete
  5. I'm not really into short stories, but you've peaked my interest with a couple of them, especially Meg Cabot and Diana Peterfreund. But I'll take your advice and pick it up at the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the 99 cent ebooks, but hate paying over $10 for something I can't hold in my hands and give to someone else if I want. I really hope publishers figure out the pricing problem, and soon!

      Delete
  6. I'm actually planning to read Simone Elkeles and Richelle Mead (I'ma huge VA fan) stories tonight !! Can't wait !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh anthology! I saw that word and jumped right over. ;) lol. Sounds like some great authors here too. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete