Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Blog Tour: Hellfire & Damnation II

Hellfire and Damnation II by Connie Wilson

Hellfire & Damnation II by Connie (Corcoran) Wilson is another tour of the 9 Circles of Hell described in Dante's Inferno. It picks up where the first collection of short stories left off, using the framing device of the sins punished at each of the 9 Circles of Hell in Dante's "Inferno."

Check out the other stops on the blog tour.

My Thoughts:
I'm a sucker for anthologies, so jumped at the chance to take part in a blog tour for a collection of short stories inspired by Dante's Inferno. I've read a few different versions of Inferno, but short stories based on the different levels? How could I resist?

The stories are divided according to the nine circles. There are eleven stories, so some circles have more than one story. I liked that Connie includes a description of each circle, as I couldn't remember what the middle levels were (been awhile since I read  Dante's Inferno).

The first story, Cold Corpse Carnival, was a great way to start off the collection! It reminded me of an old-fashioned horror movie, where it sets the stage and then lets your imagination provide the terror. I could see this as a film, complete with ominous music at the end!

The second story, The Shell, was absolutely horrifying. Very intense subject matter, and had me on the edge of my seat! Another standout was Room Service, because one of the characters is an author on her way to BEA. Nice! And A Bridge Too Far had a nice tip-of-the-hat to American Idol type shows.

Short story collections are tough because some will be hit or miss. While I really liked several of the stories in this collection, had deja vu on a couple and one fell flat for me. Overall though, I enjoyed the collection and was impressed that one author could write in so many different styles!


eBook review copy received from Premier Virtual Author Book Tours in exchange for an honest review

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good collection. I may have to look into this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking part in the tour. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me take part Teddy!

      Delete
  3. I've been hearing more about this title recently of course it is suited for the holiday that just passed but it does sound interesting...thanks for the look inside!

    ReplyDelete