Wednesday, September 26, 2012

What a tool... aka I heart the Next button!


Ever have one of those a-ha moments when reading something? Where the lightbulb goes off over your head, you hear a chorus of angels singing, and a herd of unicorns gallops by? I had one of those last week, and it's still awesome (aside from the torn up yard from those galloping unicorns)!

What caused this epiphiny? Glad you asked! While bopping around the blogosphere, I came across a link in the comment section of Kathy's Ms. Martin Teaches Media blog. It led me to Annette of Annette's Book Spot, who posted back in June about Loving the Next Button on Google Reader.

As explained on Google, the Next button allows you to use Google Reader through just one link - clicking on it takes you to the next unread item, marking it as read in the process. No more having to click through to each post you want to leave a comment on! Even if you don't comment on a post, the blog gets that all-important "hit" to mark your visit. Like Annette says, it's a win-win!

Intrigued, I decided to add the Next button to my toolbar to find out if it was as incredible as it sounded. I follow an awful lot of blogs, so also installed buttons for certain tags so I wouldn't be too overwhelmed. Right now I have the general button and three specialty buttons on my toolbar. While Google Reader helps me manage my subscriptions, the Next button makes it even easier!

I admit it...I can be lazy sometimes. I'll read a post, but it's just easier to go to the next one than open the blog in order to leave a comment. Yea, clicking is sometimes too much trouble. I admitted I can be lazy...what more can I say? But ta-daa! The Next button makes it easy and my commenting has gone way up!

Okay, starting to feel like I'm in an infomercial now...

Anyway, it's been over a week now and I'm still in love with the Next button. Commenting has gone up, and I get to see all the beautiful blog designs that I was missing by reading via Google Reader only. So if you use Google Reader, I definitely recommend checking out the awesome Next button (in settings, under Goodies)!

And if you have any other tools that make your blogging life easier, please share!

17 comments:

  1. Don't you just love those unicorns. Useful to know about this button, thanks for sharing the information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unicorns are pretty awesome, but they do leave a mess.... ;)

      Delete
  2. Hey, with how busy our lives are nowadays a good short cut is just that vital! Thanks for the tip...and watch out for any "other" presents those unicorns might have left behind *-*....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I vaguely remember reading about it on Annette's blog but it just kind of fell to the wayside, and that's a shame because this is so much more convient for when I'm commenting. Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that I found Annette's post, as she made my life so much easier! :D

      Delete
  4. Oh, thanks! I didn't even know about this but I'm most definitely interested. My laziness knows no bounds. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lazy and a procrastinator, a double threat! *L*

      Delete
  5. I'm still learning the easiest way to get around and visit everyone. I've started using the Google Reader and at first I had a hard time adjusting, but I do like it a lot better. :) Cool to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly made my life easier, so wanted to spread the love!

      Delete
  6. ooh this is cool... and nice to help blogs out with getting hits. most of us work hard to write a post so it's nice to know someone glanced at it!!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the things I really like about it...doesn't take any more time and even if I don't leave a comment, the blogger still gets credit for a visit.

      Delete
  7. This totally should be a bloggiesta mini challenge, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooohh, didn't even think of that! Maybe Annette could do a mini-challenge with this next Bloggiesta?

      Delete
  8. Thanks for posting about this! I just added it to my toolbar and I'm checking it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's awesome, i haven't used that button before now I'm going to. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete