Review: They Disappeared by Rick Mofina | Alexia's Books and Such: Review: They Disappeared by Rick Mofina

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Review: They Disappeared by Rick Mofina


They Disappeared by Rick Mofina

A loving family, fracturing under pressure... Jeff Griffin, a mechanic, and his wife, Sarah, travel from Montana to Manhattan to give their nine-year-old son, Cole, his dream vacation as they secretly face the heart-wrenching turmoil that has them teetering on divorce. In the wake of their heartbreak, a mother and son disappear...

My Thoughts:
You know those old horror movies that come on late at night, where you scream "Don't go in there!" at the TV but the characters go in anyway, to certain doom? I felt a little like that at the beginning of this book. I wanted to scream at Jeff to not leave his family's side for even a minute. Don't do it! Stay with them! But then this would have been a very different book....

Jeff and Sarah are going through a rough time, having lost their baby daughter to SIDS over a year ago. Not sure if their marriage will survive, they come to New York for a family vacation. After a baggage mix-up at the airport, Sarah and Cole disappear when Jeff pops into a small store to buy batteries for his camera.

At first, the police aren't much help and seem to think that Jeff had something to do with the disappearance. Frantic, he refuses to sit idly by and starts his own investigation. For a small town mechanic, Jeff is remarkably resourceful and discovers vital information, more than once, making the police look bad. Seemed to come together too easily for him at times and I wish he didn't keep going off on his own, but could understand his frustration.

In the meantime, Sarah and Cole show remarkable ingenuity and bravery in dealing with their bewildering abduction. I was really proud of Cole, who had me rooting for him the entire time!

The last part of the book had me shaking my head in disbelief, for several reasons, but it was still enjoyable. Sort of like certain over-the-top action movies, where you can't totally suspend your disbelief but can still have a good time. In fact, I think this would make a great movie!

Mofina is a very talented writer and I really enjoyed the fast-paced action and getting to know all of the various characters. While the plot did go down an unexpected path, it was still an enjoyable ride and I'll definitely be reading more of the author's books!


ARC provided by the author

14 comments:

  1. I know just what you mean about those old movies.

    As for the book? Hmm, a book I'd probably pick up if I saw it in the library I'm pretty certain I wouldn't buy it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice every now and then to try something new, and then I go back to my werewolves and vampires! :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh...so you think it's another one for the books-to-movies bit, huh? definitely curious....may need to investigate further. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this definitely has movie potential!

      Delete
  3. I always think it interesting when a book would make a better movie than it's readability. I'll have to make sure I keep watching the movie trailers for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually not a visual person, but I can totally see this as a movie!

      Delete
  4. This sounds good enough to make me foray back into this genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to hear what you think of it if you decide to give it a read!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great book. Thanks for your thoughts and the review. Hope you have a great weekend!

    Diane :O)
    www.dianeestrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually don't go for adult fiction very often but this sounds really exciting! I like your old movie comparison. I love that moment of intensity when your yelling at the TV but you know they're going to go in there anyways, haha. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of this before but it sounds very interesting, like it should be a movie! I am so curious about the ending that had you shaking your head in disbelief. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u