Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Review: Quest inc. (Can you buy a new life?)

Quest Inc by Justin Cohen

The World 's #1 Personal Development Agency . . . has to prove it. What if you brought together five top personal development experts equipped with virtually everything we know about unleashing human potential and gave them some lives to change? ...Welcome to Quest, Inc. They say they can change your life. Now, as they re followed by an investigative journalist from one of the world 's leading news publications, they have to prove it or be damned as charlatans. Based on real life peak performance and transformational strategies, you ll see the highs and lows everyone faces on the road to self-realization especially the experts. Get ready for breakthrough . . . or breakdown.

My Thoughts:
When I first heard about this book, I thought it was a great idea! I also thought it was non-fiction, so was a little surprised that it's a fictional story, featuring fictional characters. My mistake. While it didn't have the impact I expected, it was still an interesting premise.

The story starts with the worst day of Robert Rivera's life. Rivera is a former fitness/health guru who is now obese. Evicted on the same day that his wife leaves him, he feels that he has nothing to live for. Saved by a chance meeting with a former colleague, his old friends from the President's Living Well Campaign rally around him and help get him back on track.

Encouraged by their success of helping Robert, the old friends decide to reunite in order to help others. Calling their new venture "Quest, Inc." they set out to change America, one person at a time. With five of the top experts in their fields, they set out to show that anyone can change.

While trying to get their new venture off the ground, they accept an unusual offer from an investigative journalist, who will write about the entire experience. A risky move for a new company, but a risk that could have huge benefits.

Enjoyed seeing how the experts differed in their approaches and philosophies, and liked watching them deal with their various clients. It's encouraging to see experts as human beings, as they're so often put up on pedestals and act as though they're perfect. I think I'd be more inclined to follow Rivera's health program knowing that he had faced the same struggles I have, so too bad he's fictional!

Gave this one a 3/5 rating as it was an interesting read, but didn't keep me on the edge of my seat. It's also a little outside my usual genre, but still a good story. There were interesting characters, even though some of them were not very likable, and a decent plot. Cohen can definitely write!

About the Author
Justin Cohen is the author of four books and seven audiobooks. He produced and hosted a television talk show in which he interviewed some of the world's leading experts on success. With his psychology and drama degrees, and background in film and television, his passion lies not just in crafting life-changing personal development messages, but ensuring that they are fuelled with the power of great stories. Justin speaks and trains internationally. Please visit him at www.justinpresents.com.


Review copy received from Novel Publicity in exchange for an honest review

13 comments:

  1. I remember seeing something about this one....though I've yet to read any reviews! Sounds like this one missed the mark for you, can't help but wonder is part of that might have been the thought that is was non-fic when it was fic....you gave it a shot though and THANKS for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think it was partially my fault, as I was expecting something totally different!

      Delete
  2. Hmm, interesting. Sometimes its good to get a surprise in a book, sometimes not. Thanks for sharing about this one, I've not heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right...I try to stay away from reading the blurbs, when I really should so I know what to expect...

      Delete
  3. This one sounds interesting but not riveting. I need riveting right now. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like riveting. I love the grab-you-by-the-throat-and-won't-let-go type of riveting!

      Delete
  4. Even though it's fiction, it sounds a little too non fiction for me, but I like that it's unique. I also like the idea of seeing experts as human beings, it's alwasy good to know (and see) that experts aren't perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of it's redeeming qualities for me!

      Delete
  5. The story plot does sound unique and interesting, might give it a try, lovely review! Sometimes, stepping away from convention might be worthwhile :)

    I'm now a proud new follower of your blog, do drop by mine @ Book a World too!

    -Alicia
    bookaworld.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you Alicia! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Hmm I've never heard of this. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking this was non-fiction I wasn't interested but on having read that it is in fact fictional I'm intrigued. Great review, I'll keep my eyes out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will be curious to see what you think of it should you decide to give it a try. Hope you enjoy!

      Delete