Review: The Art of Procrastination | Alexia's Books and Such...: Review: The Art of Procrastination

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, September 24, 2012

Review: The Art of Procrastination

by John Perry

This is not a book for Bill Gates. Or Hillary Clinton, or Steven Spielberg. Clearly they have no trouble getting stuff done. For the great majority of us, though, what a comfort to discover that we’re not wastrels and slackers, but doers . . . in our own way. It may sound counterintuitive, but according to philosopher John Perry, you can accomplish a lot by putting things off. He calls it “structured procrastination”.

My Thoughts:
I am a procrastinator.

I've had this book sitting next to me on the end table since I brought it home from BEA in June.

I didn't pick it up until August.

'nuff said....

This would seem to be the perfect book for me, as it promises to offer ingenious strategies for being productive. Alas, I do not seem to be a structured procrastinator. Does that make me an unstructured procrastinator? The author doesn't say.

This is a small book, so a fast read. Luckily, the author knows his audience and keeps the chapters short.

The main premise seems to be that procrastinators are actually productive, as they get quite a bit done while avoiding other tasks. Thus, the structured procrastinator premise. Because of this, it's okay to procrastinate so long as no one gets hurt. Well, no one gets hurt when I procrastinate, but not a whole lot gets done either. Does that make me a bad person? Again, he doesn't really say.

Think this is more a book that you'd buy as a gift for someone, as it didn't do a whole lot for me. Was hoping for some tips, but didn't really learn anything new. Gave it a 3/5 rating as it was an okay read, but I do really like the To-Do List that came with the book. The notepad was a BEA promo, but I hope they offer it for sale as I love this pad!

11 comments:

  1. I totally get what this book is saying about productive procrastination! Like when I'm putting off writing by doing a bunch of housework. At the end of the day I think procrastination comes down to personality and it's difficult to change if that's who you are. As you say, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to procrastinate by blog hopping or playing Facebook games, and I don't think that really counts as productive procrastination...no matter how many crops I harvest! :(

      Delete
  2. Not my kind of read at all. I'm agree with Lan's comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it's difficult to change ingrained habits.

      Delete
  3. I am a procrastinator too. Like right now. Ho hum. I think I am a productive procrastinator some of the time, but definitely not all of the time. Sounds like an interesting book. It's too bad it wasn't more helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, maybe we are productive when we blog surf! Visiting friends and leaving comments and such! Too bad my housework still doesn't get done... *L*

      Delete
  4. It's always depressing when a book like this doesn't offer any useful suggestions. Hey, at least you got over your procrastination and read it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Too funny...though I think in some ways I am TOTALLY sharing the boat with you on this one. LOL. Nice find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! What a title and to do what the books titled. :D Thanks for the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u