Review: Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter | Alexia's Books and Such...: Review: Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Review: Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real….(Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
Loved this story! First of all, how can you resist the title? Alice in Zombieland? Genius! And Alice? How could I not love a main character who loves the Iron Fey series? Now on with the review....

Alice Bell has lived a strange life, which gets even stranger after a tragic accident. Raised by a paranoid father who refuses to let his family out after dark and a mother who indulges him, Alice is convinced that he is crazy and the family would be better off if her mother divorced him and they made a new life elsewhere. Too bad she finds out that her father wasn't just seeing things and that the monsters are real.

After her family is tragically killed, Alice (who now goes by Ali) goes to live with her maternal grandparents. At her new school, she finds herself mysteriously drawn to bad boy Cole. Why do Cole and his friends seem so scary? Why do they sometimes look like members of Fight Club? Did she really see monsters, or is she crazy like her father? Why is she having visions whenever she locks eyes with Cole? With new BFF Kat at her side (who I instantly fell in love with!), Ali tries to navigate her strange new world.

Loved this book! Ali is awesome and I really loved her voice! She is still dealing with survivor's guilt over the loss of her family, while trying to come to terms with her strange new abilities. I liked that she had a learning curve and wasn't an Instant Super Fighter after only one lesson. It's really annoying when an average girl suddenly turns into Wonder Woman.

Also really enjoyed Gena's writing style cough*genius*cough and I thought the plot was incredible! Wasn't sure where the plot was heading at times and loved that there were surprises around so many corners! And Cole....*sigh*. What is it about bad boys?

All in all, a very satisfying read! It's not the typical zombie book and I got a kick out of Gena's new zombie mythology. Really looking forward to seeing what happens next for Ali and her friends!


ARC received from publisher at BEA 2012

26 comments:

  1. Agreed on the title and I'm loving the cover! Totally want that dress. I've not had very much luck in the zombie department, but perhaps this would be the one to change those odds. Thanks for the fab review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty awesome title, isn't it? I'm not a huge zombie fan either, but these new types of zombie are more interesting than the old-school slow, shambling zombies.

      Delete
    2. Coolness...thanks for the heads up! The whole "must eat brains" bit gets old REALLY quick. *-*

      Delete
  2. Was worried this was going to be a parody on Alice In Wonderland.

    Loving the cover, this sounds like a great read and will make a nice change from the vampire books that have flooded the market lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that zombies might be the new vampire. *L*

      Delete
  3. EEE, I have it preordered and I just don't think I can stand it! :D It looks soo good! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see what you think of this one! Hope you vlog your review, as your vlogs are awesome!

      Delete
  4. I'm not a huge fan of the zombie but I have to admit this one sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is not your momma's zombie! (sorry, couldn't resist)

      Delete
  5. Oh oh oh. You are killing the WANT list and the purchasing budget is decreasing with that big holiday only three months away now. Ga! I do love the sounds of this one and to see the enthusiasm here. Oooooh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm killing your want list? hey, you're the woman who can single-handedly triple my wishlist! Guess we just have great taste, eh? :D

      Delete
  6. I'm not a fan of zombies at all (and I feel like they are everywhere lately) but I'm really glad you loved it. Everything I've heard makes the characters and story sound so very good, and everyone pretty much loves it, but I'm just not sure I could get past the zombies. But maybe, someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zombies do seem to be popping up here and there, don't they? What's nice is that these are a new breed! Hope you give the book a chance!

      Delete
  7. I hear amazing things about this book which makes me want to pick up a copy NOW !! Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally love bad boys and think this one sounds good. I'm glad you loved it, i really want to read it. Sorry I don't comment more. I'm kind of crap at commenting these days. My life got ridiculously busy. Hopefully it will calm down soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have time to read it Steph, as it was really good! No worries about commenting, as things always seem to get a little crazy at the end of the summer. I'm just glad you weren't avoiding me because I've never read The Great Gatsby! *L*

      Delete
  9. This sounds like a really fun book. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about zombies, but I imagine one of these days I'll try a novel featuring them. I mean, I already read about lycanthropes and vampires, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been a huge zombie fan either, but I'm starting to like some of the new zombies popping up here and there. Think zombies might be the new vampire!

      Delete
  10. that seems like a really great funny read :) I hadn't heard of it so I'm really glad you told us about it. It also sounds like a very unusual take on the Alice story. Like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next! Loved Ali and her friends!

      Delete
  11. I can't wait to get my hand on this! I love Alice in Wonderland! And with zombies it's going to be an awesome read!

    Sangita @ Whisper of Reads.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review, this sounds like such an interesting book! Like you, I like the title and I think Ali sounds like an awesome character, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review! I am so glad you enjoyed this one. I agree, the title is fab and I adore the cover as well. Ali really sounds great. :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u