Throne of Glass blog tour | Alexia's Books and Such: Throne of Glass blog tour

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Throne of Glass blog tour

by
Sarah J. Maas

After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

My Thoughts:
Really enjoyed this story! Enough so that I got sucked in and some of the plot holes that bothered other readers didn't really bother me.

Celaena is awfully young to be the biggest, baddest assassin in the land. And she manages to survive a year of hard labor to boot, when the average life expectancy is one month? Seemed a little far-fetched, but several of the characters in this one were pretty young for their position, including the Captain of the Royal Guard. But aside from a huh, that seems awfully young thought or two, it didn't really interfere with my enjoyment of the story.

I sort of understood the purpose of the competition, as the King decided he needed a Champion. But not the usual noble Champion, but one who would work in the shadows and do whatever needed to be done. And who better to be a Shadow Champion than a cut-throat criminal? Was interesting to learn about the various competitors and their strengths and weaknesses. And the contests themselves were pretty cool.

Found myself liking Celaena, who wasn't as tough as she appeared. Turns out she was a survivor and became an assassin because she didn't really have a choice. If you have to be an assassin, might as well be the best, right?

The competition alone would have been interesting, but then the contestants start being murdered. A mystery! So Celaena has to not only stay in the running, but try to find out who is murdering the contestants and avoid becoming the next victim!

Really enjoyed this story! Liked the characters, and the plot was interesting enough to keep me reading. Sarah is a talented writer and I was a little surprised to find out that this was her first book, as it's much more polished than other debut novels I've read. Sarah is definitely a talent to watch, and I'm looking forward to seeing what she comes up with next!



About Sarah:
Sarah J. Maas is a New York native who currently lives in the California desert. This is her first novel, though she has a large on-line fanbase who eagerly support her writing. You can learn more about Sarah at sjmaas.livejournal.com.


eARC provided by netGalley

14 comments:

  1. A book that people seem to either love or hate, I'm glad that you were one of those that enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes plot holes bother me and sometimes they don't, so was glad that this one sucked me in and I got lost in the story!

      Delete
  2. This one seems to be making it's way around the blogosphere. I like the sound of it. Hope it's a bit different to the usual YA fantasy. Though I'm a bit worried about the love triangle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't like triangles, but this one worked out well and I really enjoyed the characters!

      Delete
  3. Huh....how interesting that the Champion was working in the shadows....seems more fishy type behavior to me. Curious nonetheless and I love the striking color contrast of the cover too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did seem to be more of an anti-champion, as usually a King's Champion is a force for good. Very fishy!

      Delete
  4. Oh I do want this book, and the novella's too! :D SOOOO glad to see you loved it. Great to hear! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't read the novella yet, but am curious to see where this series goes next!

      Delete
  5. This is the first I've heard about this book. I don't think it's for me though. I think it would bother me that the story is unrealistic. Thanks for the review.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes holes bother me and sometimes they don't....not really sure why. *shrugs*

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed it too. I normally don't catch all the holes in fantasy just read for fun.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really strange how sometimes holes bother me and sometimes they don't. Never been able to figure out why, so just go with the flow. ;)

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u