Monday, August 13, 2012

Review: Redshirts by John Scalzi

Redshirts by John Scalzi

Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It’s a prestige posting, and Andrew is thrilled all the more to be assigned to the ship’s Xenobiology laboratory.

Life couldn’t be better…until Andrew begins to pick up on the fact that (1) every Away Mission involves some kind of lethal confrontation with alien forces, (2) the ship’s captain, its chief science officer, and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky always survive these confrontations, and (3) at least one low-ranked crew member is, sadly, always killed.

Not surprisingly, a great deal of energy below decks is expended on avoiding, at all costs, being assigned to an Away Mission. Then Andrew stumbles on information that completely transforms his and his colleagues’ understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is…and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.


My Thoughts:
Really enjoyed this story, and loved all of the Star Trek references! Scalzi doesn't really make fun of the old show, but it seemed like more of a wink, wink, nudge, nudge type of homage. I don't know if it will make as much sense or be as amusing if you've never seen the original Star Trek, but I found myself nodding along and laughing out loud at times!

Ensign Dahl is excited to be assigned to the flagship of the fleet, the Intrepid. It's a prestigious assignment, but then he begins to notice odd behavior from the rest of the crew. Their habit of disappearing whenever certain officers appear, and their strange reluctance to go on away missions. Comparing notes with other new crew members, they begin to realize that something is not quite right.

Very glad that Scalzi wrote this story, though I'm puzzled why no one else beat him to the punch as you have to admit, it was a story begging to be told! Why did no one on the original Enterprise ever notice that away missions were so dangerous when the senior officers participated? And why would officers be allowed to go on dangerous missions anyway? Leaders never fight on the front lines, so why would the Captain and his senior officers? Seems a little irresponsible to me.

This was a very fun read that I finished it in one sitting! Loved the ending, as it made me laugh. And I really enjoyed the codas at the end. Not really necessary, but a nice addition. Gave this one a 5/5 as I really loved it, love Scalzi's sense of humor, and am looking forward to reading all of his other books!



ARC received at BEA 2012

19 comments:

  1. Hmm...sounds much funnier than it looks (to me) at first glance. Perhaps I might need to check this one out....thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever watch Star Trek? Then I think you'll like this one! Scalzi has that twisted sense of humor that I love!

      Delete
  2. I do watch Star Treck and bet this book would interest me.
    Thanks for the review, Alexia.

    Mike

    PS Please stop over at my blog and say hi.
    I have a giveaway for "Stranger in the Room" which I think you'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think you would enjoy this one Michael! Think anyone who has ever watched the show will find themselves nodding along and laughing in recognition! Overly dramatic captain? Check! Expendable ensign on the away team? Check! Last minute miraculous solutions? Check! :)

      Delete
  3. I've never got into Star Trek but I like the movie. Does that count? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you've ever watched a cliche-filled TV show, you would enjoy this one! You might miss some of the inside jokes, but it's still a good story!

      Delete
  4. Why do you think I don't have any red clothes in my wardrobe? It's safer that way. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I like the color red....I just need to stay off Away Missions whenever I wear it then. ;)

      Delete
  5. I really want to read this :-) my husband said it's hilarious! he's a big trekkie and agrees with your assessment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing what you think of this one! :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a book all Star Trek fans should take a look at, thanks for your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! I'm a new John Scalzi fan because of this one!

      Delete
  7. Oh I've been curious about this one. I do think it sounds fun. And after your review, it looks like a great one to kick back with. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a huge Star Trek fan, but this book sounds like tons of fun. I may have to remember it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say I was a Trekkie, but I seem to have watched every episode. Also watched The Brady Bunch and Hogan's Heroes. Yep...all the classics! *L*

      Delete
  9. I love funny and Star Trek. I'm reading this one for sure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete
  10. Nice article, thanks for the information.
    Anna @ rental mobil

    ReplyDelete