Review: Between the Lines | Alexia's Books and Such: Review: Between the Lines

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, August 3, 2012

Review: Between the Lines

by Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer

New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult and her teenage daughter present their first-ever novel for teens, filled with romance, adventure, and humor.

My Thoughts:

Jodi Picoult is an amazing author, so I was intrigued when I heard that she had written a YA story with her teenage daughter. Figured that it would either be really good story, or a sad example of a famous parent trying to help their child excel in a business they were not suited for.

Was pleased that this book was an example of a talented mother-daughter collaboration! I felt that this was a true collaboration, as it didn't read like one of Jodi's usual stories. At times it felt a little...young and naive? Wasn't as polished as Jodi's usual stuff, but that just made the story sweeter.

Loved the whole idea of a fictional character communicating with the reader! It's not entirely original, but I still enjoyed the execution. Really liked the thought of fictional characters having their own lives whenever the book was closed, and the plot being like a play they perform over and over again.

I was really rooting for Delilah and Prince Oliver to get together, and mourned with them whenever their various plans didn't work. Enjoyed Delilah's refusal to admit defeat, and there's a surprise twist that I didn't expect but thoroughly enjoyed! A great summer read!



eBook from my personal nook library

3 comments:

  1. I've been hearing quite a lot about this one and either loving it or hating it everyone seems to agree that it is very different from the usual JP read. Glad you enjoyed it, I'm hoping our library will have a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually glad to hear it wasn't the author's usual style and that it seemed young. I think that proves the author's daughter actually helped write it. You know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Glad this one panned out. Haven't read any of Jodi Piccoult's work...yet...but I too wondered what the outcome on this one would be. Happy to hear it was a success. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u