Book Review: What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, August 20, 2012

Book Review: What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang
Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else - two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t…

My Thoughts:
This is one of those stories that once I started reading, I couldn't put down. I kept reading just one more chapter until suddenly I had finished the entire book! It was just that good!

The idea that everyone is born with two souls in their body, co-existing peacefully until one eventually fades away, is both horrifying and intriguing. But what happens when the second soul doesn't fade away? Eva and Addie don't want to risk finding out, so they pretend to be normal and that Eva is gone.

Not much of a life for Eva, trapped inside their body, helpless and unheard by anyone but Addie. But then one day they find out that they're not alone. That they aren't the only hybrids around. And that there's a way for Eva to come out; a way for her to take control of their body again and walk and talk once more! Incredibly dangerous, but a risk Eva is willing to take and that Addie can't deny her.

Eva and Addie are both fascinating characters! While Addie may be the dominant soul, Eva is no doormat. Really enjoyed getting to know both of the girls! Their schoolmate Hally and her brother Devon were great characters too!

Without giving too much away, the girls face a terrifying situation and they both discover that they're stronger than expected. Loved watching Eva come into her own! And the things they discover! Wow! Just....wow!

Am a little surprised that this is Zhang's first novel, as she's an incredibly talented writer and I thought the story was very well done!  Very polished and smooth! I had no trouble keeping track of who was who, as both Eva and Addie had their own unique voice.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this one, as I was very impressed and can't wait to see what happens next!

eARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

18 comments:

  1. High praise indeed, this sounds like an author with great potential. I'll be certain to keep an eye out for this one Alexia, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really enjoyed this one and it kept me up much too late, but I simply couldn't put it down!

      Delete
  2. How intriguing that they were willing to share space in the first place let alone work towards allowing the other to control things....some people can hardly stay in the same room! Sounds like a great read....may have to add it to the old wish list. Thanks for sharing....great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! Seems like they were so intertwined that they would have felt empty if the other one wasn't there. Was a fascinating relationship to read about!

      Delete
  3. It didn't work out all that well for Steve Martin and Lilly Tomlin. I'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was an oddly bizarre movie.... *shakes head*

      Delete
  4. This one doesn't sound that great to me but enough people are raving that I'm starting to get curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually suspicious of books that get rave reviews, but this one really sucked me in!

      Delete
  5. I hadn't even heard of this book! Or if I did I didn't know what it was about. But it sounds fascinating! Your awesome review definitely has me curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you give it a try, as I'd love to hear what you think!

      Delete
  6. The summary of the book just does not appeal to me so I've had no interest in reading it but it's getting such great reviews from everyone it's making me curious about it. Not one I would rush to buy, but I may pick up at the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've felt that way about other books getting great buzz that didn't "speak" to me. That's why libraries are so great! They give you the option of checking out books that you aren't sure about. :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, this is going straight on to my TBR. I love the idea of this one. Though it sounds like it's going to be a bit of a creepy read. I've always struggled with the voice of one MC. Curious to know how two main characters are going to be portrayed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes get confused with multiple narrators, but this one was no problem. Hope you love it!

      Delete
  8. I've been interested in this book. I didn't realize it was a series, although I should have guessed it. Greeat review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annette! Thought this was really well done for a debut novel!

      Delete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u